Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

star and snow

Hi

I have tables and i just loaded into with and i created data model with out using any joins.

here my doubt is which schema is faster i.e star or snow with out using any joins between the tables

10 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

In general, less hops between tables needed to aggregate field values in expressions are performing better.

But there might be other aspects to think about, like memory consumption.

Have a look at this presentation for an introduction:

Best Practices in Data Modeling.pdf

qlikviewwizard
Master II
Master II

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

Star Schema is the best, because there will be less number of joins involved.  Check below links

Re: Re: Star schema or snowflake schema or flat file?

Star.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Star Schema is the best option for your data model. Performance wise comparing to snow flake, Star schema is best.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Please go through this link:

Star Schema or Snow Flaxe schema?

Hope it will help!!

Not applicable
Author

Hi

In my case I have three tables one fact and 2 dimenstion.the fact is connected to 2 dimenstion tables that is star.

another situation fact is connected to dimention and that dimention is connected to other dimention that is snow schma.

Here i didn't used any joins.in this situation which one faster.

qlikviewwizard
Master II
Master II

Both will work faster.

qlikviewwizard
Master II
Master II

Can you please attach your sample files?

Not applicable
Author

If you have 2 or more dimension tables joining to link to Fact table, snowflake is what you're "forced" to implement.

In my experience, there is  negligible performance differences, though "best practice" suggests Star is best, it's sometimes unavoidable to use a snowflake schema.