Announcements
Defect acknowledgement with Nprinting Engine May 2022 SR2, please READ HERE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why is NPrinting Server not generating my reports?

Greetings everyone,

I'm having trouble making a scheduled .nsq file work in the NPrinting Server, it appears to be stuck at "Message Run Task".

Here is what i have done:

• Added the nsq file and folder of the project in NPrinting Server.

Capture1.PNG

• Pushed the start button at the bottom.

Canal.png

• Everything is looking good, except when the scheduled job starts to run, and the log is stuck at "Message Run Task" forever, and no report is ever generated. I was expecting it to open the QVW file, and start generating reports, but it just stays at "Message Run Task".

Log:

Capture.PNG

When i run the same NSQ file in NPrinting Designer, everything works ok and all reports are generated.

Can anyone help me?

I'm stuck at this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Susana Silva

14 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Ah that must be it.

I don't have a a valid license of QlikView Desktop for the user used for running the QlikView NPrinting service yet.

I'll try with a user with Named license and get back to you.

Thank you very much.

Not applicable
Author

some requirements on the server

The NPrinting Service Account must:

1. Be dedicated, interactive and not shared with any other Windows Server Service. Do not use the QlikView service account to run the NPrinting service for example
  2. Have the "Logon as a Service" privilege. This will be automatically assigned during the NPrinting installation. Be sure that the corresponding bullet in the NPrinting Management Console is green. If the user has not the "Logon as a service" privilege, the NPrinting Service Config Window will give it. If the privilege is revoked after, the NPrinting Service cannot start.
  3. Be a Local Machine Administrator

Other troubleshooting considerations:

• Try to perform the same operations that NPrinting Service is performing directly using the QlikView Desktop. For instance, if you experienced an issue when opening a .QVW try to open it with QlikView Desktop and check that everything is fine. Tha same if you have issues by applying filters.
  • NPrinting Server and Client needs a fully licensed version of QlikView Desktop. You can activate QlikView Desktop by inserting a license code or by assigning a Named User CAL from a QlikView Server. Dynamically Assigned QV licenses (CALs) and QV Personal Edition are not supported. Log into the NPrinting Server with the Windows Account used by the NPrinting Service and open QlikView Desktop. It must be activated. You can also click on "View message" when the Windows Interactive Service message appears. If you see "Personal Edition" on the QlikView Desktop you must activate it in the way you prefer.

1. Mapped Drives: Windows services run in Session 0, and mapped drivers are not supported in Session 0. So the NPrinting Service does not support the use of Mapped Drives. UNC (Universal Naming Convention) paths must be used for any NPrinting related files that are accessed over the network. For instance \\ServerName\SharedFolderName\... is a correct path instead of Z:\SharedFolderName\... is not supported.
  2. Folders Access: The Windows account assigned to run the NPrinting server service must have access to any remote files which NPrinting needs to access (.nsq, templates, etc). Therefore a domain user account would be needed in this case. That account must then have read/write access to remotely shared folders that contain files required by NPrinting to process reports.
  3. The QVW and NPrinting Source Connection: Check for any QVW's that may have recently been changed. This is easily identified when opening a QVW and a chart object crashes on open. Also check that the NPrinting source connection is working properly. If a QVW location has changed, you will need to update the related NPrinting source connection.
  4. Windows Event Logs: Check the Windows event logs of the QlikView server. If there is a problem with the QlikView Server setup or if something has gone awry in the QlikView Server, the Windows System and Application logs will deliver errors and warning which could also help troubleshoot the issues.
  5. Configuring NPrinting Service Account 'Session 0': If you have macros that require permission to run, you must log onto the NPrinting Server with the NPrinting Service Account. Next, open a QVW containing a macro requiring permission to run and click "Ok" when prompted to "run safe macros".
  6. All NPrinting Clients and Servers must be the same version: An NPrinting file created or edited with a recent release version, may not be opened correctly with a previous version. Please ensure all versions of the NPrinting Client are on same track and same track version. NSQ's saved with different versions of NPrinting can cause schedules to fail. The service does not start if the chosen .nsq file was saved with a client with a different version than the server.
Not applicable
Author

What needs to be installed on a server?

• NPrinting Server with an active license. Install NPrinting Server on a server to manage your reporting system: you need it to schedule jobs automatically, set up and run NPrinting Service and NPrinting On-Demand reporting.
  • QlikView Local Client. You need QlikView Local Client installed on the machine because NPrinting needs QlikView to connect to the server and or to open .qvw file and extract data. QlikView Personal edition is not supported.
  • Users who start NPrinting Service must have one of the following:
    • a Named user CAL on the QlikView server
    • a server Assigned leased license (not dynamically assigned)
    • a local QlikView Local Client license
    so that QlikView will be able to operate. We suggest using a Named User CAL manually assigned to the NPrinting Server Service user or a local QlikView Local Client license because when a dynamic leased license expires, the NPrinting Service stops working. Furthermore, any such user must have an administrator account and “Run as a service” privileges. Furthermore, the user must be specific to NPrinting Service. Please don’t use the same user for other purposes such as remote desktop connections or server login
Andrea_Ghirardello

In fact I supposed it...

Fast way to test it: right click on Qv.exe with SHIFT pressed and select "Run as different user" and specify the user you need.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I was finally able to test it.

The problem was was indeed the lack of a valid license of QlikView Desktop for the user running the QlikView NPrinting service.

Thank you all very much for your help.

Best wishes,

Susana Silva