Skip to main content
Announcements
Defect acknowledgement with Nprinting Engine May 2022 SR2, please READ HERE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

NPrinting report to TV screens in office space?

Hello,

We're getting NPrinting soon and I was wondering if anybody can share their knowledge to do the following.

I would like to share a report generated with NPrinting on our office screens and the reports shown there should update themselves (= no manual work is necessary at all) every 30 minutes.

The issue is here not so much how to reload the data into Qlikview but the following process how, in what format and to where the report should be sent from NPrinting (based on the frequently updated Qlikview data) to the screen.

The solution we use for the screens is Watson from hibox.tv. It's possible there to show a webpage and reload that webpage frequently.

For safety reasons, the report should be saved on the Qlikview server. Is there something NPrinting offers out of the box? I read that NPrinting can save reports to folders, but how to access those files then with the TV screen software (which again, is able to display webpages)?

Do I need to set up a webserver on the server to make the files accessible? And if so, how safe is that?

Looking forward to hear your ideas or how you have solved this.

Thanks.

Fabian

8 Replies
Not applicable
Author

I am not familiar with the TV monitor you are referring but one possible solution would be to crate a NPrinting report using the PowerPoint tempalte - you can then set up a slide show that advances through the slides - what I do not know is when the report is re-run, I do not think the current slide show will be updated.

There are ways to cycle through tabs of a QlikView application on a monitor (I have completed that same task about a month ago).  You can build the application in such a way that the tabs that show on the monitor can or cannot be tabs the user sees when they go into the application, if this is an application the end user would need to access.  You can then have the application scheduled to reload periodically and that would automatically updte the data being shown on the monitores

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Adam,

I couldn't imagine the PPT solution would work because of the lack of an automatic updating you brought up already.

For cycling through the report: That would require the third-party TV screen software to log into the application. I have a feeling that might be problematic and I have checked with their support team.

Not applicable
Author

that may not be an issue, but not sure - you would still need to code the UI to tab through the screens that you want to cycle through - you can look at having the application accessed via accesspoint on a server that has output to those monitors - possible option?

Not applicable
Author

Fabian

there are a couple of good samples of what to do in order to set up a qlikview appliation to automatically page through specified tabs (I used one of them but replaced a variable with a field to ensure the paging continues on reload)

Below is the link to the article I used as a basis, but only got it working in IE Plug IN

automatically move to next sheet within interval time

Andrea_Ghirardello

You can save an html report into an ftp destination.

See Distributing Reports to FTP Destinations – Customer Feedback for Vizubi

Not applicable
Author

Fabian

I have an application that has 18 tabs, but on the tv monitors, it only automatically pages through 6 of them.  I have coded conditional shows on the 6 tabs.  I launch the application from a specified server that interfaces with our tv monitor software from AccessPoint.  I open the application in IE plug in and turn on my field that I have defined that activates the auto paging.  The application has periodic reloads throughout the day and the paging will still continue after the reload completes

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Andrea.

How can I access the files from the FTP server and show them on a TV screen then?

Andrea_Ghirardello

If "It's possible there to show a webpage and reload that webpage frequently" as you wrote and your ftp destination is accessible through a http url...I think you shouldn't have problems.