Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidgold
Contributor III
Contributor III

EDX External task fails

Hello

In version 9 QEMC, I have defined an external program triggered by an external event. We were able to call that using a vbscript that I got from this thread:

http://community.qlik.com/forums/t/28641.aspx

The task starts but fails. The log is below:

Information: Starting task "XXX" (Attempt 1 of 1)
Information: Max run time: 1.00:00:00
Information: Skipping execute of commandline because it's empty.
Error: Exception=System.Exception: Commandline is empty.
Error: at QDSMain.ExternalProgramTask.InternalExecute(ILogBucket i_LogBucket)
Error: at QDSMain.AbstractTask.InternalExecute2(ILogBucket i_LogBucket)
Error: The task "XXX" failed. ErrorCount=1

I would really appreciate any assistance in resolving this. We are trying to get the monitoring system that controls our data warehouse refresh to launch our qvd reloads.

Thanks,

David

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Ah, I see. So your data warehouse is triggering this EDX-enabled task when it is "ready" and you then want this task to trigger other tasks. I don't think you can have an entirely empty task, but you can put a "hello world" BAT or something similar that will always succeed. Otherwise, why not just make your first real task EDX-enabled and have the data warehouse call that task?

Regards,

View solution in original post

7 Replies
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Well if it's starting then the problem is probably not with EDX but with the task itself. Try starting it manually and see if it runs successfully then.

Regards,

davidgold
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for the quick response. Running the task manually fails with the same log results. I'd appreciate any further thoughts.

Thanks again,

David

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Yeah so that means it's not an EDX issue. I'm assuming your task has a command line defined in Supporting Tasks. Try writing all command line statements in a VBS file, creating a BAT file that calls the VBS file with CScript, and then calling the BAT file from the Supporting Tasks. If that doesn't work, your problem is more fundamental--probably something wrong with the VBS syntax or routines.

Regards,

davidgold
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Actually, I have nothing in the command line. I guess I really don't know how this is supposed to work. I was hoping that the success of this task could be used to launch subsequent tasks that reload my qvd files and finally my end-users QlikView docs.

Thanks again,

David

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

You're right--a task can be used to trigger other tasks. But what is that first task (the one with EDX)? Meaning, what does it do? If it doesn't reload/distribute any files and the command line is empty, then what is the task??

davidgold
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

It exists purely to get the signal from our scheduling software that our data warehouse is ready. I have several reloads scheduled to run at a set time. I was hoping to replace the time schedule triggers with the success of this task. I guess it's a dummy task. I'm starting to think that this won't work.

Thanks for helping with this.

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Ah, I see. So your data warehouse is triggering this EDX-enabled task when it is "ready" and you then want this task to trigger other tasks. I don't think you can have an entirely empty task, but you can put a "hello world" BAT or something similar that will always succeed. Otherwise, why not just make your first real task EDX-enabled and have the data warehouse call that task?

Regards,