Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

limit data that is plotted in line chart

Is it possible to limit the data plotted for one field of a dimension but not another?

Example:

Plotting in a line chart actuals and forecasts of different markets.  Dimension are the combination of  'Markets' and 'Scenario' plotted by month.  Expression is the price.

Assume Scenarios can be Actual, Forecast1, Forecast2, etc... and Markets can be Apples, Oranges, Grapes, etc....

Actual is updated each month with the latest actual data.  Each forecast is a combination of actuals (at the time of the forecast) and forecasts for the remaining months in the year (example Forecast2 is 2 months of actuals and 10 months of forecast).

Lets say its now Sept and I have actuals through August.  I plot all my past forecasts along with the actual scenario (lets say for just the Apples market).   What I would like to do is use a variable (or something) that will limit the plotting of Actuals to a specific month.  Say I only want to plot actuals through June even though I have actuals through August. I want to see the full year plotted of my forecasts but I want actuals to stop at June.

Can this be done?

5 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Yes, you can use Set Analysis to limit the data set for the Actuals by Month. The actual syntax of the Set Analysis condition largely depends on the formatting of your data fields, such as Month.

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

QlikView Your Business: An expert guide to Business Discovery with QlikView and Qlik Sense

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks

I have it working but have one problem.  I can stop the data at a specific point but its ignoring my overall date selection and therefore x axis shows all dates (with actuals plotted for the selected months).

here is my expression

if(Scenario='Actual',only({<Month_Year={'<3/1/15'}>}[Price per Unit]),only({$}[Price per Unit]))

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Got it

if(Scenario='Actual',only({<Month_Year={'>1/1/13<3/1/15'}>}[Price per Unit]),only({$}[Price per Unit]))

This works

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

ok, how do I incorporate variables in this?  I want to incorporate my variables vStartDate and VEndDate

if(Scenario='Actual',(only({$<Month_Year={'>=1/1/13<=3/1/15'}>}[Price per Unit])),only({$}[Price per Unit]))

I've tried replacing the hard coded dates with my variables but that does not work.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

You can do it in the dimension limit tab.