Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Nprinting Vs Publisher

Hi all,

It is my understanding that Nprinting can do everything that publisher can and on top can provide extra functionalities like pixel perfect formating , excel file creation etc.

My question is, for a new installation, why do i need to buy publisher?????

Regards

11 Replies
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

You dont need to buy the publisher to use the Nprinting.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
mr_barriesmith
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

There are two primary reasons for investing in QlikView Publisher

1. Allows the back-end reload Tasks to run on a separate server to the front-end QlikView Server machine.  This means the interactive user sessions are not impacted if you have to reload QVWs during business hours.
  2. The QlikView Publisher license unlocks the advanced scheduling features meaning you can have more than one reload task per QVW and you have Supporting Tasks which allow automation of other aspects of your solution that are not reloading a QVW.

There is a document available from Qlik called "Why QlikView Publisher" - it is very useful, I could not find it in the community.

All the best, Adam

Not applicable
Author

My questions is... If i get Nprinting then do i really need to get publisher also? What is the extra functionality that Publisher offers and Nprinting does not have?

lironbaram
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

hi

publisher and nprinting are two very diffrent products

publisher main goal in to administrate the qlikview server activity

in regards to :

-reloading the qlikview models

-alerting administrators when there is error in loading process

-distributing the models to other servers

-managing the qlikview users who can see which model

you can add a reporting capabilities to the publisher by purchasing the pdf reporter

which allow you to distribute qlikview reports in pdf formats.

where is nprinting is mainly a reporting tool

that allows you to distribute your reports in various formats (HTML , XLs,PPT,Doc) and more

allows you to distribute to each user only data relevant for him.

nprinting can do  a reload of qlikview models , but i wouldn't have replaced publisher for this type of operations

for several reasons : nprinting can only reload one document at  a time , nprinting needs a qlikview license to perform the reloads

so the question is what you are looking for

if you need a qlikview administrative tool i would choose publisher (that is the regular server capabilities aren't enough)

if you need a reporting tool then nprinting is your choice

hope this short explanation

helps you

Not applicable
Author

Hi Adam,

Nprinting reload tasks also run on Nprinting machine, right? I fnprinting machine is seperate from QVServer then adv1 i lost... Is that correct?

Adv2 generally means that i can have parallelism in reload tasks, right?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Liron

-reloading the qlikview models --> Nprinting can do that but only one task/file at a time, right?

-alerting administrators when there is error in loading process --> What kind of alerts can publisher raise?

-distributing the models to other servers --> Nprinting cannot distribute .qvw files?

-managing the qlikview users who can see which model --> I dont get that. I think that security is either handled by windows (group a cannot access folder A) or through Qliview server (group A cannot see dimension member A).

lironbaram
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

hi george

- yes nprinting can only do one task at the time , so if you have several qlikview models that can mean long reloading process

-regarding alert nprinting also can alert you so it doesn't matter

-nprinting can distribute qvw files via reduce tasks

-publisher allows you to use different sources of users : aD users, custome users (users you create in the server)

so it allows you do manage users from different types

- one more point

in publisher task you can define that if a task fail , it'll try to run it N times before a failure is reported, to kill task after X minutes if it didn't finished

in nprinting you can't do neither ,

so once again you need to decide what you are looking for

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Liron,

The discussion is really helpfull.

Thanks

Sattya

lironbaram
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III