Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

group bars in a waterfall chart

I need to create a table that looks like this where the blue, red, and gray bars are predefined values. The orange, yellow, and green bars are also pre-defined values (left) but I also need a duplicate bar next to them that change based on user entries (right). I need the three middle bars to group under one label. I am thinking this may be accomplished with multiple dimensions but I'm not quite sure how to set it up. Any suggestions would be appreciated! I don't want to group the expressions because I need them all visible at the same time.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

It looks like the classic Groupped Par Chart:

• you need two dimensions - one that supplies the "Label", and the other one that differentiates Left/Right.
  • The first bar and the last two bars would only have one entry for the secondary dimension.
  • Use calculated colors to paint the chart accordingly
  • Use the same "bar offset" for the two bars that need to begin at the same point.
  • Play with the "Bar Distance" setting to reach the desired presentation.

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

QlikView Your Business: An expert guide to Business Discovery with QlikView and Qlik Sense

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

It looks like the classic Groupped Par Chart:

• you need two dimensions - one that supplies the "Label", and the other one that differentiates Left/Right.
  • The first bar and the last two bars would only have one entry for the secondary dimension.
  • Use calculated colors to paint the chart accordingly
  • Use the same "bar offset" for the two bars that need to begin at the same point.
  • Play with the "Bar Distance" setting to reach the desired presentation.

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

QlikView Your Business: An expert guide to Business Discovery with QlikView and Qlik Sense

dgreenberg
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

To me it looks like Tetris

Not applicable
Author

Oleg,

I get that but I'm not sure how to load the two dimensions. right now I'm getting the equivalent of 6 side by side waterfalls squished into the table. Do I just need one expression that says IF left (left bar) then this value, else that value (for right bar)?

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Yes, exactly - that's how it should work.

Not applicable
Author

Ok thank you. I'll work on that.

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Excellent! Please mark the answers as helpful/correct and close the thread 🙂

Not applicable
Author

I will be happy to as soon as I get it correct

One more question... how do I eliminate the gap between the bars that only use one of the dimensions? I tried suppressing when value is null but it's not responding to that. Also, it won't show grid lines even though I have it set to show them. thoughts on that?

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

• I doubt if the gap can be removed, unfortunately.
  • Grid lines - check the grid line color. I suspect it might be white on a white background.
  • In addition to Grid lines, I'd add Axis lines - set their Width to 1 and Color to gray.
  • Also, as a side comment - consider moving away from shadows and gradient colors. They are not in fashion anymore 🙂
Not applicable
Author

I have managed to get the chart as I want it. Thank you Oleg for your help!!