Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Circular references...

Hello everyone! I'm new not only to Qlik but to the world of databases or even data... and I'm going to show you right now 🙂

So that's my model. To simplify, let's say every row in "DATA" has:

- one responsible (Username)

- one list of delegated people (many TO_USER_NAME).

I want to play with that info in my sheets. And I basically need the "FULL_USER_NAME" for everyone. My solution? Linking what I highlight in yellow. My problem? It creates a circular reference.

I can't change the database, that's out of question. What would be a way to show this?

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Rename the column name as profileusername or [profile user name]

Hope it helps!!

Not applicable
Author

I was not sure what you meant... I renamed it and did it for the delegations, too. And I got this by QLik......

It doesn't complain about circular references in the diagram (no red lines), but... is it correct? will it work? I'll let you know 🙂

Many thanks!!!

qlikviewwizard
Master II
Master II

Hi,Can you attach some sample data?

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Alberto, - welcome to Qlik.

One other point worth mentioning - take a look at the Smart Data Load feature and see if that capability helps you define your data to avoid the synthetic keys and possible circular references:

Qlik Sense - Using Smart Data Load (video)

More videos like these videos are available here: New to Qlik Sense Videos

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable
Author

Thank you Mike, thank you wizard...

I just re-watched the Smart Data Load video... Sadly it doesn't help since I keep getting "Data profiling could not be completed" when trying any data load with my DB...

Simple update, with this I show clearly what I want (sorry I am not allowed to send sample data):

- I will see the full_user_name of all delegated

- I can see the responsible ID ("ORIGINATOR")

It works, yes, but I can't get the full_user_name of the originator..........

I can get something like:

But of course I need:

Thankssssss!!!!! 🙂

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Thanks Alberto - let me do some digging over here - I am curious why you would get the "Data Profiling could not be completed" message.

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable
Author

Hi Mike! Well, it happens every time with our database. And I can't get a hint of what's going on because I just get this after the "Profiling data..." message:

Kind regards,

Alberto