Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlik Sense - Additional Fields in KML Files for Mapping

I'm trying to create a boundary map in Qlik Sense using a census tract KML file from the US Census Bureau.  However when I load the file I only get three available fields - Name, Point and Area.  Name is the Census Tract Value, Point is Null and Area is the geo coordinates that define the tract.  The problem is that tract alone is useless when dealing with multiple counties (subdivisions of US States).  Census tracts are not unique between counties, so for example if I select census tract 1801.0, I could be selecting it for 3 or more counties.

How can I bring in more than these three fields?  I've reviewed the KML file and it has data for State CD, County CD, GEOID.  Any or all of these would suffice to provide the granularity I need.

Thanks,

Message was edited by: Keven Suzuki

4 Replies
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

hi kevin,

can u share the KML file ?  I'd like to try play around with it to come up with a solution.

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

Thanks keven - as you said sense will only recognize the first field but what you need is a query that would map census tract number to county so that you can form a combined key. I believe this can be done in the qlik sense load script but what i don't have expertise with is how to extract the County and Census tract values from the kml into say a CSV or TXT file.  If you can help with that and provide a 2 field  Country + Census tract values data file i can help get the kml rendering the way you want in sense.

Not applicable
Author

I was running into this as well as I was experimenting with different census kml files in Sense, however these files from the the census website seem to be lacking additional fields to make using them in a data model accurate.  I feel like we need additional columns to link county to state, state to region, etc.  I've just started googling and looking in the Qlik Community but I sure hope someone has addressed this otherwise I feel like some of the census files are not useful due to the lack of uniqueness.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Did you guys figure anything out on this?  Just ran into the same problem today.

If Sense is configured to only grab one field, are you aware of an easy way to modify the value field in the KML?