Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Named CALs & Session CALs

Hi,

Can someone explain how does Named CALs & Session CALs works? - In details

We know that once Named cals is up, session cals will be used? but how?

Says i have 10 named cals, 3 session cals.

20 users are given access to QV apps, but not all users have been connected.

So, what will happen when 10 users connnected to QV server and start using the appl?

and what will happen to the 11th connected user?

i saw there's some panel in QVEM, that we can assigned cals, but this can be manual or automatic or dynamic (if we checked the box). as soon as a user is connected, they will be assigned name cals, then i also see the x button, when u click it, it says quarantined until a certain time. what does it mean?

is session cals something we can manually assign to some user? or it just happens automatically?

and base on the number of users - 20, i obviously do not have enough lic? or i have? knowing that they will not all connect at the same time?

and will name cals expired? after a certain period? or it's the session cals that will expire?

Thanks if someone can clarify my doubts on the above...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Here some answers...

Basically a named CALS is one user/machine that can open as many sessions (applications) as they want without even being denied access. To reassign a named CALs you have to wait 24 hours after its last use. They can be assigned dynamically, which means that if a user enters and there is an unused named CAL then the user will be assiged that named CAL. You can also assign them dynamically.

A session CAL is when one anonymous user enters one session. It is only given if the user doesn't have a named CAL and can't be assigned one dynamically. The session CAL is freed up after the user closes the session.

The process is automatic. QlikView searches first for a named CAL, then a session CAL and then a Usage CAL (See reference manual for more information on Usage CAL)

So, what will happen when 10 users connnected to QV server and start using the appl?

If you dynamically assign the named CALs then they will assigned Named CALs

The user will be assigned a session CAL automatically

i saw there's some panel in QVEM, that we can assigned cals, but this can be manual or automatic or dynamic (if we checked the box). as soon as a user is connected, they will be assigned name cals, then i also see the x button, when u click it, it says quarantined until a certain time. what does it mean?

If you try to free up a named CAL before 24 hours has past since its last use, the named CAL is put in quarantine, which means that the user can no longer use it and you have to return to delete it manually after the time is up or it will be deleted when QV Server is restarted.

is session cals something we can manually assign to some user? or it just happens automatically?

Session cals cannot be assigned. This will happen automactically.

and base on the number of users - 20, i obviously do not have enough lic? or i have? knowing that they will not all connect at the same time?

The most frequent setup is that your named CALs are for your most frequent or most important users and then you can estimate 1 session CALs for every 10 infrequent users. This estimate can be different depending on how infrequent.

and will name cals expired? after a certain period? or it's the session cals that will expire?

The licenses never expire. You just have to pay maintainance to receive technical support and upgrades.

View solution in original post

22 Replies
pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Here some answers...

Basically a named CALS is one user/machine that can open as many sessions (applications) as they want without even being denied access. To reassign a named CALs you have to wait 24 hours after its last use. They can be assigned dynamically, which means that if a user enters and there is an unused named CAL then the user will be assiged that named CAL. You can also assign them dynamically.

A session CAL is when one anonymous user enters one session. It is only given if the user doesn't have a named CAL and can't be assigned one dynamically. The session CAL is freed up after the user closes the session.

The process is automatic. QlikView searches first for a named CAL, then a session CAL and then a Usage CAL (See reference manual for more information on Usage CAL)

If you dynamically assign the named CALs then they will assigned Named CALs

The user will be assigned a session CAL automatically

If you try to free up a named CAL before 24 hours has past since its last use, the named CAL is put in quarantine, which means that the user can no longer use it and you have to return to delete it manually after the time is up or it will be deleted when QV Server is restarted.

Session cals cannot be assigned. This will happen automactically.

The most frequent setup is that your named CALs are for your most frequent or most important users and then you can estimate 1 session CALs for every 10 infrequent users. This estimate can be different depending on how infrequent.

The licenses never expire. You just have to pay maintainance to receive technical support and upgrades.

Not applicable
Author

Karl, thanks for the explanation, are there any doc for this?

Karl Pover wrote:

For the above line, when you said anonymous user, does it mean the security of the server?
whether we use anonymous or login? or something else? because we are using AD authetication.
i supposed no one can access QV server as anonymous? like a "ghost" account?

If a session is freed up immediately right after the user closes the app without the need to wait for 24 hrs, we can basically maintain a small number of session cals i supposed?
because, we actually made session cals 30% of what we have in named cals, meaning, for every 100 named cals, we bought 30 session cals.
is that too many for sessions cals?

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

This information is from a mixture of sources. You can find this some information in the QlikView Server Reference Manual, in the QlikView Price List and in QlikView community.

For the above line, when you said anonymous user, does it mean the security of the server?
whether we use anonymous or login? or something else? because we are using AD authetication.
i supposed no one can access QV server as anonymous? like a "ghost" account?

Instead of anonymous, I wanted to say any user. The user would still have to login with his or her user.

If a session is freed up immediately right after the user closes the app without the need to wait for 24 hrs, we can basically maintain a small number of session cals i supposed?
because, we actually made session cals 30% of what we have in named cals, meaning, for every 100 named cals, we bought 30 session cals.
is that too many for sessions cals?

The session cals are freed up immediately after the user who is using it closes the application. This all depends on your economic proposal, but a good number might be 10% of the total number of possible users and not the number of named cals you have.

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

Suddenly i came to realize that we might not even need NAMED CALs,

Named cals might be practical if you know your exact users.

But for bigger organisation, if you do not know "how many more" users you are gonna give, you can basically just get session cals? says you can buy 50 session cals for the whole organisation, and as long as there's no more than 50 users connect to QV at the same time, we will never run out of lic, and in this case, named cal becomes redundant?

Not applicable
Author

BUT, of course, we can still have a few NAMED cals for the CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, to make sure they always have access, then sessions cals for the rest of irregular users.

Not applicable
Author

Nice Link !!!

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

So, let's go all out to analyze Session vs. Named Cals. If you have the budget for 50 Session Cals then go right ahead, but sometimes the budget is limited and you need to mix the 2 licenses for the best cost value. The price ratio changes by region, and you should confirm with your supplier, but we'll say that for every 1 Session Cal, you can buy 7 Named Cals.

Of course all would be perfect if you knew exactly how many users are going to use QlikView and the frequency of use of each user, but usually that information will only come after first implementing QlikView and then analyzing the QlikView log files. So your first QlikView purchase will probably be based on any of the following factors: a budget, a simple survery or a gut feeling.

So you estimate 200 users based on a survey of the areas the director wants to implement QlikView and even though you are enthusiastic about QlikView, you have a gut feeling based on your recent ERP project that you better be cautious and on top of that you have a limited budget.

Critical Users

Independent of any later analysis of QlikView usage, you always have critical users, or users you never want to risk denying access. These are your CEO's, CFO's, VP's and Project Champions, etc. You can usually easily count this group of users and you count 10 critical users.

Developers

Users that are going to develop the first applications also need a named Cals. This group is also easy to count and you plan for 3 developers.

Power users

Users that want to use QlikView off-line or use collaboration to create graphics on the server should also be given a Named Cals. You estimate on key user for each of the 6 areas you are going to implement QlikView so you plan for 6 power users. You decide to round up one Named Cal and plan to purchase 20 Named Cals. Now comes the tricky part.

Normal users

All other users can be considered normal users and here is where you may look at the price difference between Named Cals and Session Cals and decide that since 1 Session Cal costs the same as 7 Named Cals, you need 1 Session Cal to be good for at least 8 users. If you have a rough estimate of 200 users then plan to purchase 25 Session Cals, or a 12.5% concurrency. With the goal of never denying a user access, you will always aim for a 12.5% concurrency.

Skip ahead 3 months and you now have a live QlikView environment running.

How do you know if the licenses you bought 3 months ago based to loose estimates enough for you QlikView community?

From time to time you will get a request to add a critical user, developer or power user to the list of named cals, but how do you know is the Session Cals are enough?

Besides the angry call you get from a user in the middle of an important meeting that is denied access, you rely on the QlikView logs to measure the total size of your QlikView community and concurrency rate. The total number of users in your Qlikview community are the number of unique users opening QlikView plus an unlucky few users that might always be denied access.

Your rate of concurrency is the max number of users/documents opened up plus denied entries during any given hour. As when you purchased the Session Cals your goal should be to have a 12.5% concurrency or lower. There are a variety of scenarios that you could come up against , but if you have a concurrency rate greater than 12.5% then you should look into the following 3 options:

1. Changing high-frequency normal users to named Cals if the the user opens various documents during multiple days

2. Purchasing Usage Cals if the concurrency rate is high during one or two days a month

3. Purchasing Document Cals if a the concurrency rate is high for a particular document

I hope that helps you analyze the subject even more. Regards.

Not applicable
Author

Karl,

Superb answer !

I think you just completed all the doubts anyone could have on QV license.
best part, you back-up with the following fact and figure.
Very nice !!!

7 named cal :1 session cal ratio ,

session cal : total users ratio <= 12.5%

Appreciate your afford... Happy Qliking...

Not applicable
Author

Karl,

I have not used Sesion CALs and I'm about to deploy an application in an environemnt where they are used. Can you clarify the security aspects of the Session CAL? I guess I was a little confused by the term anonymous user. From your follow-up response, "Instead of anonymous, I wanted to say any user. The user would still have to login with his or her user", I inferred that the term refers to the issuance of a CAL and not access to documents. Could you verify that the following statements are true?

• Basic security over documents is established as any other CAL.
  • Session CALs respect section access for reduction of data as any other CAL would (includes Document CAL).
  • If dynamic allocation of licenses is off. All users with NT access to a document would be granted a Session CAL if available. This one seems to be a bit of a conflict.

Thanks,

Rich De Rocco