Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Normal vs Debug Logging in QDS

Hi All,

I have a question regarding the Normal vs Debug Logging in QDS. Currently we have around 8GB worth of log file that has got generated and stored in our C drive. This is eating up the space.

Question:

Should I have Normal Logging ON which would generate less log data

OR

Should I have Debug Logging ON and have of Log data since the beginning

Is there any way to keep only past one month of log data in the "C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\DistributionService\1\Log" folder.

What is the use of this log data? Is it used in the Governance Dashboard.

Regards,

Janaki

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Do I need to modify the below config file?

"C:\Program Files\QlikView\Distribution Service\QVDistributionService.exe.config"

<!-- The number of days to keep QDS logs -->

<add key="NbrOfDaysToKeepQDSLogs" value="200" />

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I think that on average you don't need Debug Logging enabled, except when facing exceptional circumstances.

The task logs and Root_* and WorkOrder_* logs in the directory you mentioned are eliminated already after 30 days (if you didn't change the configuration parameter) Do you want to make that period even shorter?

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Hi Peter,

Which configuration file should be changed to shorten the task log period?

Regards,

Janaki

Not applicable
Author

Do I need to modify the below config file?

"C:\Program Files\QlikView\Distribution Service\QVDistributionService.exe.config"

<!-- The number of days to keep QDS logs -->

<add key="NbrOfDaysToKeepQDSLogs" value="200" />

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Yes indeed, you do need to change that setting (and restart the QDS)

Apparently, the current value seems extremely large (200 days), which explains why your C:-drive is getting filled...Better restore it to its default value of 30.

Best,

Peter

Not applicable
Author

I thought this config change will help keep Task History.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Peter,

I want to store last 200 days worth of logs for the Tasks that I create on QMC. How do I achieve that?

Regards,

Janaki

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Without filling up your C: drive you mean?

Then leave this parameter set at 200 days (log files are an important part of the task history, which by itself is not deleted but won't show up in the QMC anymore after the specified number of days).

In the same configuration file, there is a setting called "ApplicationDataFolder". Usually this has no value and defaults to the directory that all services use to store stuff. For the Distribution Service, you can change that one to another directory on a drive with ample space. You can try these steps:

• Shut down the QDS
  • Copy the entire contents of C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\DistributionService to another directory that has more room to grow. Let's assume that you will use H:\QlikTech\DistributionSerivce
  • Enter the path "H:\QlikTech\DistributionSerivce" as value for the parameter "ApplicationDataFolder" in the QDS configuration file.
  • Restart the Distribution Service
  • Check whether the QDS is now writing stuff in the new location instead of the old one.

You can always revert back to the old location if something doesn't work out as expected. Or remove the original DistributionService folder if everything checks out just fine.

Best,

Peter