Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

No reload possible on Qlikview 11 SR12 : "Someone is already saving tasks"

Hi all,

I'm facing a strange problem: on our production server, randomly the server could stop to reload all planified task.

When i'm checking the C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\ManagementService\Log, I get this message everytime :

"Failed to send message to execution service. Message is removed from queue. Error details : (if (workorderResult.QDSeRotateResult) - SendSaveAllTasks) Failed to contact distributionservice at http://myserver:4720/QDS/Service, ChunkErr=QDS did not respond to request.

Last exception (for http://myserver:4720/QDS/Service): The remote server returned an unexpected response: (413) Request Entity Too Large. Message type: SaveAllTasks MessageParameter:"

Then followed by :

"Failed to send message to execution service. Message is removed from queue. Error details : Aborted! Reason: One QDS node is already saving tasks Message type: SaveAllTasks MessageParameter: "

In loop for each 20 seconds.

On the C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\DistributionService\1\Log :

24/09/2015 09:50:46.3804704InformationBeginSaveTasks START
24/09/2015 09:50:46.3960822InformationBeginSaveTasks Handle returned: b25bada9-eae6-4e54-a52f-f4b06bbf1d0d
24/09/2015 09:50:46.5523400InformationTasks reset: Number of QMS tasks differ from number of QDS tasks
24/09/2015 09:50:46.5523400InformationEndSaveTasks
24/09/2015 09:51:03.1308254InformationBeginSaveTasks START
24/09/2015 09:51:03.1308254InformationBeginSaveTasks Someone is already saving tasks
24/09/2015 09:51:03.1308254InformationBeginSaveTasks Handle returned: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

The only solution I found is to restore the C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\ManagementService and C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\DistributionService folder until this problem reapear.

This problem is really problematic because it is a silencious problem and when it apear, all our application are not reloaded without any notification.

Does anyone know this problem? Any solutions ?

We are using a QV Entreprise + Publisher licence with 1 Distribution / Directory / Management Server + 1 QVS Server.

Thank you for your help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi Yann,

First of all, I want to give you a big thumbs up for describing your issue. You clearly states your environment and which service you are on. Then you clearly have examined the log files and pinpointed the areas related to the issue. This makes it so much easier to have an idea on what is the root cause.

Secondly, I just want to tell you that I am part of the team how spent a fair amount of time about a year ago redesigning the work order handling in QlikView.

So, now to your issue. My thought on this is that first thing you need to get working is getting rid of the error in QMS "The remote server returned an unexpected response: (413) Request Entity Too Large".

This is the work order communication between QMS and QDS giving this error. Basicly QDS is telling QMS that the message sent was too big. There two settings that can help you here.

MaxReceivedMessageSize

WHERE:

This is configurable both for QMS and QDS (note! only present by default in QMS config file, but you can add it QDS also)

WHAT:

This sets the limit how big messages can be received.

RECOMMENDATION:

You should try to increase this value. Your IT enviroment might have restrictions on how big this can be. Use the same value both in QMS and QDS.

EXAMPLE:

C:\Program Files\QlikView\Management Service\QVManagementService.exe.config and C:\Program Files\QlikView\Distribution Service\QVDistributionService.exe.config

<add key="MaxReceivedMessageSize" value="262144"/>

QMSChunkSize

WHERE:

This is configurable for QMS.

WHAT:

This tells QMS how to split up the Work order when sending it to QDS. Lets say you have 240 tasks and QMSChunkSize is 100 (default). Then QMS will split it up into 3 messages. Task 1 to 100, Task 101 to 200 and Task 201 to 240.

RECOMMENDATION:

You should try to decrease this value. Downside to lowering this is that it will take longer time to send the work order (due to more messages).

EXAMPLE:

C:\Program Files\QlikView\Management Service\QVManagementService.exe.config

<!-- Message size for QMS workorder -->

<add key="QMSChunkSize" value="100"/>

To summarize, first try increasing MaxReceivedMessageSize. If this fails, then move to decrease QMSChunkSize.

Hint! After doing a config modification, you can easily test the work order communication by pressing "Send Work Order" button in QMC (System - Setup - Distribution Service - Advanced).

Dictionary:

QMS - Management Service

QDS - Distribution Service

Work Order - All task definitions

QMC - Management Console.

If all this still does not remove your issue, then you should contact Support. Tell them to open up a Problem Investigation and refer to me. This will enable us to dig deeper into your issue. I have some ideas, but lets save it for now. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi Yann,

First of all, I want to give you a big thumbs up for describing your issue. You clearly states your environment and which service you are on. Then you clearly have examined the log files and pinpointed the areas related to the issue. This makes it so much easier to have an idea on what is the root cause.

Secondly, I just want to tell you that I am part of the team how spent a fair amount of time about a year ago redesigning the work order handling in QlikView.

So, now to your issue. My thought on this is that first thing you need to get working is getting rid of the error in QMS "The remote server returned an unexpected response: (413) Request Entity Too Large".

This is the work order communication between QMS and QDS giving this error. Basicly QDS is telling QMS that the message sent was too big. There two settings that can help you here.

MaxReceivedMessageSize

WHERE:

This is configurable both for QMS and QDS (note! only present by default in QMS config file, but you can add it QDS also)

WHAT:

This sets the limit how big messages can be received.

RECOMMENDATION:

You should try to increase this value. Your IT enviroment might have restrictions on how big this can be. Use the same value both in QMS and QDS.

EXAMPLE:

C:\Program Files\QlikView\Management Service\QVManagementService.exe.config and C:\Program Files\QlikView\Distribution Service\QVDistributionService.exe.config

<add key="MaxReceivedMessageSize" value="262144"/>

QMSChunkSize

WHERE:

This is configurable for QMS.

WHAT:

This tells QMS how to split up the Work order when sending it to QDS. Lets say you have 240 tasks and QMSChunkSize is 100 (default). Then QMS will split it up into 3 messages. Task 1 to 100, Task 101 to 200 and Task 201 to 240.

RECOMMENDATION:

You should try to decrease this value. Downside to lowering this is that it will take longer time to send the work order (due to more messages).

EXAMPLE:

C:\Program Files\QlikView\Management Service\QVManagementService.exe.config

<!-- Message size for QMS workorder -->

<add key="QMSChunkSize" value="100"/>

To summarize, first try increasing MaxReceivedMessageSize. If this fails, then move to decrease QMSChunkSize.

Hint! After doing a config modification, you can easily test the work order communication by pressing "Send Work Order" button in QMC (System - Setup - Distribution Service - Advanced).

Dictionary:

QMS - Management Service

QDS - Distribution Service

Work Order - All task definitions

QMC - Management Console.

If all this still does not remove your issue, then you should contact Support. Tell them to open up a Problem Investigation and refer to me. This will enable us to dig deeper into your issue. I have some ideas, but lets save it for now. 

Not applicable
Author

Thank you for your fast and precise answer !

I've done the MaxReceivedMessageSize modification let's hope that it will work.

The test of Send Work Order working :

25/09/2015 10:01:34.5482104InformationBeginSaveTasks START
25/09/2015 10:01:34.5638376InformationBeginSaveTasks Handle returned: 10a1ba5e-4851-49a7-861f-552268685ea1
25/09/2015 10:01:34.5794590InformationSaveTasks START
25/09/2015 10:01:34.5794590InformationSaveTasks returned OK.
25/09/2015 10:01:34.5950896InformationSaveTasks START
25/09/2015 10:01:34.5950896InformationSaveTasks returned OK.
25/09/2015 10:01:34.6107086InformationEndSaveTasks

Thanks again !