Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How does Qlikview identify documents created by Personal Addition?

How does Qlikview Identify documents created by personal addition and tag it to the machine and the user.

1. In the above case the user refers to the User Account through which the user has logged in or the email id used while downloading personal addition?

2. Also if the license is tagged to the PC, would formatting the PC and downloading the new Qlikview version would let me open the document created on the same PC prior to formatting ?

Reason for asking the question is, my friend likes the app developed by me and ill be replicating it on his PC as the transfer from my PC is not possible.Also he may format the PC in near future and may even move PC.

If the answer to the above question are negative is there any way of making the copy work on the PC after formatting of after moving it.

4 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

When the document is saved the license key of the Qlikview installation is embedded in the document.

1. In the above case the user refers to the User Account through which the user has logged in or the email id used while downloading personal addition?

No, the user account on the computer where the user is using Qlikview Personal.

2. Also if the license is tagged to the PC, would formatting the PC and downloading the new Qlikview version would let me open the document created on the same PC prior to formatting ?

No, the Qlikview PE installation needs to have the same license key as the key that's embedded in the document. Reinstalling Qlikview PE will create a new license key. So does recovering a document that contains a license key that differs from the license key of the Qlikview PE installation.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

There is a license key for all types of editions (leased license, user license) including personal edition - personal addition has its own and is part of the software.

If you have a persobnal edition you can only open up qvw files that the specific personal edition created.  If you have the more true expanded license, you can open up qvw files created by other suers including personal edition

Not applicable
Author

Thank you Gysbert.

Is there any way he can retain his copy of Dashboard after formating the PC?

Gysbert_Wassenaar

No, he'll have to make a backup before formatting his harddisk. After formatting it all data will be gone. If he has a backup he can use one of the four recoveries to open and save his qlikview document after he reinstalls Qlikview.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand