Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mazacini
Creator III
Creator III

Tutorial File - Highlighting of selections not working as described

Just started on this today.

When I select an item in one of the list boxes a) it does not assume green highlight and b) related items in other list boxes are not highlighted.

Am I doing something wrong?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Qlik_Trigg
Employee
Employee

I have seen this behavior in V10 Tutorial too and tracked the problem down to the transparency setting. Below is what I have reported to support (and had accepted as a bug). Plus how to correct the transparency setting

INITIAL PROBLEM

1. Download and install QlikView Tutorial

2. Open Tutorial.QVW

3 Goto Geography tab

4. Make a selection in ANY list box - values re-sort, but there is no Green/White/Grey highlighting

TO FIX

5. Open Settings>Document Properties>General Tab

6. Adjust 'Transparency' from installed value of 70% to 0%

7. Hit Apply

8. Green/White/Grey appears in all list boxes

TO RESTORE TRANSPARENCY

9. Adjust 'Transparency from 0% to 70%

10. Hit Apply

11. Transparency is correctly applied to all list boxes i.e. green/white/grey is still apparent, just faded

HTH

John Trigg

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello and Welcome,

Any time you click on a listbox that is not locked or read only it should allow you to select both possible values (white background) or excluded values (grey background) of a given field.

Have you check in the listbox properties that you don't have a read only listbox or a selection locked (background blue). Try clicking on the "Unlock" and "Clear" buttons in your toolbar.

Hope that helps.

mazacini
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Miguel Thank you for such a quick response! List boxes are not read only; I have also clicked both unlock and clear buttons - and as far as I can tell no selection is locked. Problem persists. Rgds Joe
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

Can you post an example of the application you are trying to select specifying wich of the listboxes are you unable to get selected?

Regards.

Qlik_Trigg
Employee
Employee

I have seen this behavior in V10 Tutorial too and tracked the problem down to the transparency setting. Below is what I have reported to support (and had accepted as a bug). Plus how to correct the transparency setting

INITIAL PROBLEM

1. Download and install QlikView Tutorial

2. Open Tutorial.QVW

3 Goto Geography tab

4. Make a selection in ANY list box - values re-sort, but there is no Green/White/Grey highlighting

TO FIX

5. Open Settings>Document Properties>General Tab

6. Adjust 'Transparency' from installed value of 70% to 0%

7. Hit Apply

8. Green/White/Grey appears in all list boxes

TO RESTORE TRANSPARENCY

9. Adjust 'Transparency from 0% to 70%

10. Hit Apply

11. Transparency is correctly applied to all list boxes i.e. green/white/grey is still apparent, just faded

HTH

John Trigg

mazacini
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Miguel. This has been fixed. I should have mentioned that I was having the problem with the Tutorial.qvw file

Not applicable

Hi John,

Thanks for that. I am a new user myself, and spent half an hour trying to figure out if I'd somehow downloaded mismatched qvw files/tutorials.... highly disconcerting for a new user! I should have come here first....

Regards

Yuren Deokaran

Not applicable

Great tip ! Made my day !!! Thanks John.

Not applicable

I too experienced this problem.

Thank you very much for this forum thread, since I followed the advice (setting Transparency from 70% to 0%) and it works now perfectly.

It's an extremely unfortunate place to have such an error, since it's about the absolutely very first thing which the beginner user does in the tutorial: "Select items in the list box and they will go green". No, they don't. In addition, it makes the tutorial totally unusable since none of the instructions then follow, e.g. "Seven values in the list box Country are white, i.e. compatible with the selection.". No, they are not, they are all white.

Concretely, this is a critical error with the tutorial file: the tutorial is totally unusable as it is with this error. It is as bad as the tutorial file not opening at all.

It's several months since this is now known and I downloaded the latest tutorial file today. Why is the tutorial file not fixed yet?

Not applicable

Thank you John,

After downloading the tutorial two different ways,and searching for some incompatibility between QlikView and Windows XP, I found your post and you hit the nail right on the head.

I have only been through 15 min of the tutorial but so far I have found that:

- the screenshot of the Geography tab in the tutorial displays a graph of "Population Growth" which I do see on the Tutorial document I loaded (yes I have figured out that it will be created during the tutorial, but it left me puzzled and was my first hint that my tutorial document could not be up to date).

- the greens/grays not showing up in the selections, no longer an issue after finding this forum.

- the toolbar button to toggle the "Current Selections" window shown on "Lesson 1 - Making queries in Qlikview" is actually the button in the "Design" toolbar, which has a different behavior than the one you go into detail of describing. The button that should be referred to is the one in the "Standard" toolbar.

I like the concept of "BI on the fly", that is what led me to demo this software. I think it can have vast application across many areas of IT and businesses , but why confuse new users in the first 15 min of baby steps into the product? First impressions are critical!

Luckily I'm interested enough and diligent to find my way over here, but the ordinary user will not, so if you want to disseminate this product and its concept to the masses (which can then lead you to the enterprise contracts that actually pay the salaries) take better care of your free user, and review your tutorial documentation.

JP

Unemployed ITSM Consultant.