Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlik Sense date and time - all 12 months on a chart

Hi, I have a bar chart with month and amount; but the xasis has only months that has the data. How can I fix it so that it shows all 12 months? (From 2014/5 - 2015/5, for example)

I tried with the method from this blog

I put the calendar definition in the data load editor but when I reload and check the date and time section in the fields, I still don't get anything. How can I fix it?

11 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Have you set up the field to show null values?

See image below

Data--> Columns--> Show null valuessample.jpg

Not applicable
Author

Yes, it is set to show null values.

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

if you don't have the months in your data set you need to add them to the data source OR, you can have qlik generate in he load script. The latter would be a dynamic solution that I would recommend .

Not applicable
Author

Jonathan,

I have added calendar script in the data editor, referred from the date and time blog (below). Is this what you mean?

Calendar:

Declare Field Definition Tagged '$date'

Parameters

first_month_of_year = 1

Fields

Year($1) as Year Tagged '$year',

Month($1) as Month Tagged '$month',

Date($1) as Date Tagged ('$date', '$day'),

Week($1) as Week Tagged '$week'

Groups

Year, Month, Date type collection as YearMonthDate;

Derive Fields from Fields ExpenseDate Using Calendar;

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

‌hi seona

Please take a look at this video it should explain how to create and use a master calendar and solve your problem.

In regards to what you are using that is not a really good example of a master calendar.

It does not fill in all of the missing data it just derives New fields from existing dates

Understanding the Master Calendar (video)

Please mark the appropriate discussion thread as helpful or correct so our team knows that your question has been answered to your satisfaction

Regards,

Mike T

QLik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

no, that script won't populate missing dates, months... it just forms the common date buckets that most people want from a date field.

Here is a sample below where i loop between the years of the min and max date and create a table that links to the main table with dates.

Capture.PNG

RawData:

load * inline [

Month,Sales

201506,15];

SalesData:

load

Date(Date#(Month,'YYYYMM')) as Date,

Sales

resident RawData;

drop table RawData;

MinMaxTable:

load distinct Date(min(Date)) as minDate, Date(max(Date)) as maxDate resident SalesData;

let vMinDate=peek('minDate',0,'MinMaxTable');

let vMaxDate=peek('maxDate',0,'MinMaxTable');

let vYears=Year(vMaxDate)-Year(vMinDate);

drop table MinMaxTable;

for vYear=0 to $(vYears)

let vMakeYear=Year('$(vMinDate)')+$(vYear);

Months:

Load

makedate( $(vMakeYear),recno()) as Date

autogenerate 12;

next vYear;

Not applicable
Author

Hi Michael,

I tried with the instruction above and I get the following error

The error occurred here:

Temp: Load min(ClosingDate) as minDate, max(ClosingDate) as maxDate Resident Pipeline 05 29 2015 v.2

The date field is called 'Closing Date' and it shows as [Closing Date] on the default main data load editor. I tried using the same format [ ]  and it still does not work. Also, for the Pipeline 05 29 2015 v.2 (next to 'Resident') is the name of the file. Am i supposed to put the name of the file next to 'Resident'?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jonathan,

I have a lost list of data and is there a way to generate such list below automatically?

RawData:

load * inline [

Month,Sales

201506,15];

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

Not certain i understand. You can certainly manufacture some random data in Qlik to provide many more rows using the rand() function and the autogenerate command in a load.  The following randomizes dates over the last 10 years and randomizes sales numbers from 0 to 1000 each.  Is that what you are looking for ? 

RandomData:

load

makedate( floor(rand()*10) + year(today())-9, floor(rand() * 12)+1 ) as Date,

num(rand()*1000,'#,###.#0') as Sales

autogenerate 1000;  

Months:

Load

Date,

Year(Date) as Year,

Month(Date) as Month

resident RandomData;