Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can we put 2 dimensions and 2 expressions in Qlik Sence Bar chart?

Hi ,

I have taken Year and Area as Dimensions in Bar chart and growth and Growth% as expressions.

I have taken year,area as dimension and expression as Growth it is working but if i try to add growth% as 2nd expression,it is not able to add in Qlik Sense.

Could you please help on that once?how can add 2nd expression for bar chart if we have already 2 dimesions?

Thanks,

Raj

9 Replies
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Hi,

would you mind telling us a bit more about your requirement, e.g. how your 2nd expression looks like? Obviously, there is something about that, so having a look at it would make it a lot easier to help.

Best regards,

DataNibbler

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

First expression should contains growth values like 200,300,second expression contains growth % values like 2%,3%.

i try to drag 2nd expression into bar chart it is not adding as measure.it is asking like replace.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Hi,

that seems strange - putting several expressions into a chart should be no problem actually.

But my question was a bit more specific - the second expression is supposed to be the % of sales relative to what?

datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Hmmm ... I'm just thinking - I have to add, all I tell you is from QlikView, I have never worked with QlikSense - it just might be impossible. I'll try to test it. I think I had this at some time.

Several expressions in a barchart can be stacked on each other - but when one is a normal number and the other one is a %, that is not possible. On the "Design" tab of the dialog, have you ticked >grouped< rather than >stacked<?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Please find attached data and qlik Sense files.

Here i have added already branch and year as dimensions.I have added expression growth but trying add one more expression growth%,not able to add.please check once.

Thanks

Rajesh

datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Hi,

I cannot open that, I have QlikView.

But now I have a logical explanation for it: When I do that in QlikView - a normal barchart with 2 dimensions and 1 expression - the 1st dimension is the x-axis and the 2nd dimension is implemented in the form of 2 groups of columns - one blue and one red in my example.

Now, when I add a 2nd expression, the two expressions are automatically stacked on top of each other (even though I have ticked > grouped < on the corresp. tab)

<=> That is not possible with one regular numeric expression and one %.

(changing the thing into a combochart doesn't help, either)

=> You will have to choose another type of chart that supports this unless somebody else around here has an idea.

Best regards,

DataNibbler

PFA an illustration of my explanation - but this is a qvw, I don't know if you can open this ..

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for that i have done on qlikview also but i am talking about qlik Sense it makes problem.

Thanks,

Raj

mjm
Employee
Employee

Hello Rajesh,

The reason why you are experiencing this is because a bar chart has a limitation of only one dimension in Qlik Sense. You can add another measure (I believe the limit is 2) but I would argue that more then 2 measures in a bar chart can become confusing.

Other options are things like a combo chart or treemap. Alternatively if it makes sense you can build a master item drill dimension (i.e region > country > city), which can be used as a single dimension for your charts.

I hope this answers your question. Please mark this as correct and helpful if this does answer your issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your answer..that was nice answer but in Qlikview we can put 2 dimensions and 2 expression like one is on Y-axis left side and other one is on Y-axis right side.Due to that reason only i am trying replicating the same thing into qlik sense .But it is not adding second expression.

Anyway i will try your approach if not get anything.

Thanks,

Raj