Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Data reduction for certain users

My requirement is as follows:

I need to give access to a QlikView document to a few users but limit the data based on the certain values of a field STATUS. This document will be deployed on the QlikView server and accessed using IE.

I have created 'Section Access' in the script and I am reading it from an excel file that looks like this:

LEVELNTNAMESTATUS
USERDOMAIN\USER1TRANSFERRED
USERDOMAIN\USER1AMENDED TRANSFERRED

For all other users, there should be do data reduction.

While testing this, I got different results for QlikView client and IE.

When USER1 and USER2 opened the document using QlikView client, the results were as expected - USER1 could only see data for STATUS = TRANSFERRED and AMENDED TRANSFERRED, while USER2 was able to see all data. Also, they were not prompted for username and password.

On the other hand when they tried to open the document using Internet Explorer (QlikView Web server deployment), it worked fine for USER1 but USER2 was prompted for username/password. Even after entering the correct network login and password, ti did not work.

So I have 2 questions:

1) Why is the behaviour different in QliKview client v/s QlkView server deployment?

2) Is there a way to make it work on the server without users having to enter their logn?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Viral Mehta

7 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello Viral,

I'd check that the Strict Exclusion is checked on your Document Properties, in the Settings menu.

If you use a NTNAME field in section access, it shouldn't ask for password as QlikView compares the login credentials with the Active Directory. It may ask if the user is not listed in the section access or it doesn't have a valid or corresponding NTNAME field.

I'd add a new file for each of the users is going to access the file, leaving the STATUS field empty for those users will full access, or insert all possible STATUS values in dummy lines not corresponding to any NTNAME, and using an "*" in STATUS for full access (remember that "*" in Section Access doesn't mean "all possible values" but "all listed values" for the field in the section access table).

Hope that helps.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks, Miguel.

Is there no way to reduce data for some users without listing all other users (who have full access) in 'Section Access'?

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

Leaving the reduction field blank should work for admins (allowed to modify the script when the document is opened in Desktop).

Section Access controls who has access to a given document, and within it, which information is available. Any user not listed in any way (using "*" for example, is valid) won't be granted access. Using

STAR IS *; SECTION ACCESS; LOAD * INLINE [ACCESS, USERID, PASSWORD, F1ADMIN, ADMIN, ADMINUSER, -, -, A2USER, -, -, A3USER, *, *, *USER, USER1, USER1, A1]; SECTION APPLICATION; Table:LOAD * INLINE [F1, F2A1, B1A2, B2A3, B3];

Will grant all users access to A1, A2 and A3 (full access), and it won't even ask for password, while

LOAD * INLINE [ACCESS, USERID, PASSWORD, F1ADMIN, ADMIN, ADMINUSER, -, -, A2USER, -, -, A3USER, USER2, USER2, *USER, USER1, USER1, A1];

Will ask for password, but grant USER2 full access..

I'm using USERID and PASSWORD for testing purposes, changing it to NTNAME will only skip the password asking, but the results will be the same.

in some way or another, all users must be listed.

Hope that helps

Not applicable
Author

I created the following entry in my external excel file:

ACCESSNTNAMESTATUS
ADMINMARVNYCE\USER1

With this entry, USER1 has full access when using the QlikView Professional client.

However when USER1 opens the document usign IE (Qlikview server deployment), he is prompted for userid/password.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

Accessing via client the ACCESS is always set as USER, and there is no way so far to change this. Only ADMINs can access all values with empty fields. If your users al always to access the document via client (ajax, plugin) you have to list them with their corresponding STATUS values.

Regards.

andy
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Did you solve it?

Me too is getting users prompted for userid/pwd when accessing via web-client using QV9 publisher/server.

By the way, by adding your users that shall have full access to the document into a group you can save some text-rows in your script by just having to list the group and not every domain\user in the section access part.

/Andy

andy
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi again,

I read some other threads about this and the thing is that when you access via Accesspoint you always become a USER (even if listed as a ADMIN in the section access part). If you leave the reduction field blank there will be nothing for Qlikview to reduce on and you are prompted for the userid/pwd. Filling in the reduction field will solve it as mentioned by previous posters.