Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Any way to get rid of the "reserved space" around line objects?

Hi,

I have the issue that whenever I insert a line object in any of my apps (to draw a frame around something), there is an area of 1-2 cm around that line which is seemingly taken up by that object - when I click there (visibly inside another object), the line object reacts, but the other one doesn't.

That gets more annoying as the other objects get smaller and lines are closer to each other, like drawing a table-like structure. In the extreme, I have to move the line objects or deactivate their visibility so I can handle the objects inbetween.

Is there any way to reduce this "reserved space" around the lines?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

A line object has a minimum height which is about 15 pixels. The width will follow the frame size (set in the caption properties). I'm not sure I understand your problem...

Reserved Line Space thread188844.jpg

I can't reduce the height of the line in the screenshot any further (15 px) but the frame does not cover any additional space on either the left or the right...

[Edit] If I rightclick between the two green frames, I get the Sheet context menu. According to your description, the frame of one line should cover both objects and the space inbetween...

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Colin-Albert

Can you place the line on a lower layer so the object you want to click on is on a higher layer?

the layers range from -127 to +127 (I think).

Try putting the line on a layer like -20

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Colin,

yes, I can, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I can see that when doing a right-click to activate the context_menu - from a distance of approx. 1.5 cm, the context_menu is that of the line_object. Beyond that is the context_menu of the object that the lines are around.

Well, but I can make their visibility dependent on a variable that I can switch. That way, I can make all the lines disappear and then I can handle the other object and make the lines reappear afterwards. That does the job too.

Best regards,

DataNibbler

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

A line object has a minimum height which is about 15 pixels. The width will follow the frame size (set in the caption properties). I'm not sure I understand your problem...

Reserved Line Space thread188844.jpg

I can't reduce the height of the line in the screenshot any further (15 px) but the frame does not cover any additional space on either the left or the right...

[Edit] If I rightclick between the two green frames, I get the Sheet context menu. According to your description, the frame of one line should cover both objects and the space inbetween...

Colin-Albert

This shows lines & objects on different layers

layers.png

Colin-Albert

The example above uses custom layers on the Layout tab. The default layers are Normal 0; Top +1; Bottom -1.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Set the frame size in Object Properties->Caption to reduce the clickable area.

Colin-Albert

When you click, it is the item on the topmost layer that the click applies to.

If you switch on the design grid, you will see the boundaries of the clickable area of the selected object.

The image below shows that the button test-10 is above the line object, so the click will action the button, whereas button test-40 is partly below the line, so clicking at the top of the button will action the line not the button.

layers2.PNG