Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Average of Delta's

Hello,

This is going to be my first question on the Qlik Community. I've been searching fir 2 days now and cannot find a solution for this.

I have a where I use the ABOVE() to calculate the delta between a value and the previous one. Expression for Delta: =sqrt(sqr(Value-above(Value))).

Now I'm looking for a way to average these delta's like in this example: (in this example sum of delta is 12, divided by 6 steps between groups = 2)

ValueDeltaAverage Delta
1-2

This cannot be done in data load step because of multiple dynamic dimensions and expressions.

I've tried to solve it with AVG(TOTAL AGGR(SUM(Value) - ABOVE(SUM(Value)))) function but I don't get it to work in combination with ABOVE() function.

Any help is very welcome.

Regards, Jorrit

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarcoWedel

Hi,

maybe like this:

=Avg(TOTAL Aggr(fabs(Sum(Value)-Above(Sum(Value))),[$(=Dimension)]))

QlikCommunity_Thread_189108_Pic4.JPG

QlikCommunity_Thread_189108_Pic5.JPG

QlikCommunity_Thread_189108_Pic6.JPG

hope this helps

regards

Marco

View solution in original post

13 Replies
marcus_sommer

For this you need a range-function and the optional parameters from the above-function, something like this:

rangeavg(above(Delta, 0, rowno(total)))

- Marcus

MarcoWedel

Hi,

one solution quite similar to yours could be:

QlikCommunity_Thread_189108_Pic1.JPG

QlikCommunity_Thread_189108_Pic2.JPG

QlikCommunity_Thread_189108_Pic3.JPG

hope this helps

regards

Marco

Not applicable
Author

Hello Marcus,

I've tried your solution in attached qvw. It is definitely a step close than what I achieved so far but there is still 1 issue with it:

The expression averages the delta's for all rows above and including the current row, but I am looking for the average of all the rows (meaning the result is similar for all rows)

I looked into the help files for RangeAvg() and RowNo() but could not find how to make the expression take all rows (instead of only current + previous) into account.

I hope you can help me again.

Regards, Jorrit

Not applicable
Author

Hello Marco,

I am using dynamic dimensions in my qvw. your solution gives me the the correct average delta on the lowest aggregation level, but I would not know how to implement it in a dataset with multiple aggregations.

In my example qvw (see attached) I'm using only 2 dimensions, but in real live there are going to be 15 to 20 different time levels and other groupings like by customer, by supplier, by location, etc.

Could you advise a way of doing the aggr() function without having to add an "ID" field?

Regards,

Jorrit

marcus_sommer

In this case might be a complete different approach helpful, like:

sum(total aggr(FABS(SUM(Value) - ABOVE (SUM(Value))), [Dimension 1])) /

(count(distinct total [Dimension 1]) - 1)

- 1 is manually because the first row will always fail but I think it could be included within the expression as condition. Further helpful could be: Average – Which average?

- Marcus

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Try

=RangeAvg(Above(Delta, 0, RowNo(total)), Below(Delta,1, NoOfRows() ))

MarcoWedel

Hi,

maybe like this:

=Avg(TOTAL Aggr(fabs(Sum(Value)-Above(Sum(Value))),[$(=Dimension)]))

QlikCommunity_Thread_189108_Pic4.JPG

QlikCommunity_Thread_189108_Pic5.JPG

QlikCommunity_Thread_189108_Pic6.JPG

hope this helps

regards

Marco

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Marco,

You and 2 others have given me a correct answer with which I can move forward.

Additionally I learned from your answer about getting the dimension dynamically with `[$(=Dimension)]`. This will come in handy in future projects.

Regards,

Jorrit

Not applicable
Author

Thanks,

You and 2 others gave the correct answer.

I like yours because I think it´s elegant to solve this using just in Chart Inter Record Functions.

Regards,