Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlikview and Bloomberg

Is it possible to link directly to Bloomberg to have put share prices on a Qlikview dashboard?

Thanks,

Nic

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Bloomberg is well aware of the risk of exposing their very valuable asset like their data on the internet. So first of all they have made sure that if you electronically/automatically download the data in a way without using it via the provided UI of the browser - you are in fact commiting a criminal offence... Secondly they have been smart enough not to provide this as a simple standard HTML table. For that reason it is hard to use QlikView to screenscrape/webscrape the data from the website.

This might very well be technically possible but will most likely demand quite an effort if you are not proficient in this kind of work before. Those that do it use specialized tools like PhantomJS. I wouldn't advice anyone to do it on a site that is warning about criminal prosecution.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
oknotsen
Master III
Master III

If Bloomberg offers that data on their website in an HTML table, it should even be very easy (so the answer being yes).

May you live in interesting times!
Not applicable
Author

So for instance, if I wanted to replicate the graph on the this website, what would the process be?

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/QK9:GR

oknotsen
Master III
Master III

If you have access to the (complete) source data of that thing: Yes. But you probably have not.

So what you could do is start "grinding" that information by scheduling (for example) a daily reload to get the exchange rate information of that (or any) website and start storing it into a QVD. Build up history. Next thing is start building a chart based on that historic information.

Might be easier to just get / buy that historic information from somewhere though.

May you live in interesting times!
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Bloomberg is well aware of the risk of exposing their very valuable asset like their data on the internet. So first of all they have made sure that if you electronically/automatically download the data in a way without using it via the provided UI of the browser - you are in fact commiting a criminal offence... Secondly they have been smart enough not to provide this as a simple standard HTML table. For that reason it is hard to use QlikView to screenscrape/webscrape the data from the website.

This might very well be technically possible but will most likely demand quite an effort if you are not proficient in this kind of work before. Those that do it use specialized tools like PhantomJS. I wouldn't advice anyone to do it on a site that is warning about criminal prosecution.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Google are bit more open:

LOAD Date,

Open,

High,

Low,

Close,

Volume

FROM

[https://www.google.co.uk/finance/historical?csv&q=NASDAQ%3AQLIK]

(html, codepage is 1252, embedded labels, table is @4);

;

But do check the legals if you are going to do it for business purposes..

Not applicable
Author

Thanks all for your help on this!

I think I'll use the Google Finance Table!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

.... but don't forget to check the legals..................