Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Log Scale Scientific Notation

Does anyone know how to get y-axis values to display in scientific notation while the axis is log-scale? Right now it shows up as 1m, 1um, 1pm etc. My data ranges from 10^-3 to 10^-12, and I would like the axis values to show up at 1x10^-6, 1x10^-7. Tried changing the settings under the number tab in the chart properties but didn't get it to change the y-axis values.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Interesting, now I see your issue, just playing around with switching options on / off.

Nevermind...

What do you use as min and max values / expressions. I think you need to use the log10 values, like

Max: -3

Min: -12

Step: 1

View solution in original post

7 Replies
MarcoWedel

Hi,

maybe one solution could be:

QlikCommunity_Thread_189990_Pic1.JPG

QlikCommunity_Thread_189990_Pic2.JPG

QlikCommunity_Thread_189990_Pic3.JPG

QlikCommunity_Thread_189990_Pic4.JPG

hope this helps

regards

Marco

Not applicable
Author

That seems to be pretty close, but I would like the 1x10^ would be next to each y-axis grid point value.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You can modify Marco's expression to include the 1x10^. Note that you have to use an "Oh" instead of zero in the pattern so it's not mistaken as a digit selector. Downside is that your popups will show the rounded value, so you may want to turn the popups off.

=num(log10(Value),'1x1O^0')

More about including special text in y-axis here:

Currency and Other Symbols on the Y-Axis | Qlikview Cookbook

-Rob

http://masterssummit.com

http://qlikviewcookbook.com

Not applicable
Author

What I get.PNG

This is what I get while doing that. Any idea what to do about the changing format for anything double digit? I also tried using '1xE' and the double digit problem happens there too.

What I got.PNG

swuehl
MVP
MVP

I couldn't reproduce the issue with above sample file and expressions.

Could you upload a sample QVW?

Maybe try

=num(Log10(Value),'1E#')

Not applicable
Author

=num(Log10(Value),'1E##') worked for me and fixed the last two values.

=num(Log10(Value),'1x10^##') also works.

Only problem is that the chart won't be bound by the min and max I sent, and the axis label isn't coming up, but I can live with that, and it's probably an unrelated issue.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Interesting, now I see your issue, just playing around with switching options on / off.

Nevermind...

What do you use as min and max values / expressions. I think you need to use the log10 values, like

Max: -3

Min: -12

Step: 1