Defect acknowledgement with Nprinting Engine May 2022 SR2, please READ HERE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

NPrinting only applies recipient filter to one connection

Hello,

I have 2 connections added to my NPrinting report: Contracts and Sales.

From the first one, Contracts, I generate HTML reports and embed them directly to the email body. Each recipient has a personal filter (under the mapping field in Recipient Import Task 'Filter 1'). This filter applies a region to each recipient and then they receive a customized report.

So far so good - that works very well.

Now I want to attach an Excel file with Sales data (= from the other connection) - again personalized by the recipient filter.

The attaching and creation of the Excel file works fine - however - it doesn't apply the recipient filter anymore.

I can also verify this when I add %%Recipient_Current_Selections%% to the email body. That lists which filters have been applied to what connection - and the recipient filter is missing from the Sales connection.

Does anybody know how I can apply the recipient filter to all connections? I tried already Linked Fields but that didn't work (but maybe I did something wrong).

Thanks a lot.

Fabian

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stephen_Jasionowski

Yes, Fabian. You will still have to assign values to the linked field as a filter.

So let's say you have named the linked field something like "Region Linked". When you create a new filter, you can add the linked field (it will appear in the list with the other fields from your QVWs) and then assign the value, so that:

Recipient 1 receives Region 1

Recipient 2 receives Region 2

Recipient 3 receives Region 3

and so on.

You do not have to do this manually. You can import the filters that will be associated with your recipients as part of the import recipient process. The process and the syntax used to import filters is explained here: How to Create and Import Recipients with Filters and Distribution Groups – Customer Feedback for Viz...

If I am understanding you correctly, you want the same template distributed to each recipient containing only the data for that recipient's region. In that case, you wouldn't want to filter the report or the task. The filter should be applied to the recipient and this will accomplish the desired output.

All of that is automated thru the use of the recipient import. Please refer to the tutorial above and let me know if you have any questions.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Fabian

when you say you are attaching the Excel file, is that something that is already crated or are you generting it in NPrinting?

Is this where you have 1 nsq with 2 connections and 1 report from each connection.

You have tried what I would have suggested - linked fields but does each connection/qvw have a field that represents the personal filter? If so you will need to create a new field by linking the 2 fields together and then using that new field as a filter?

Is it safe to assume both of these reports are using the same distribution list?

can you post the qvw and nsq?

Stephen_Jasionowski

Fabian -

Are you setting up the equivalent filter for the Sales connection? You will need a filter for the regions that each recipient should see data for in both connections.

Another way around this is to use a linked field. In this case, select the field name that represents the region from the Contracts connection and do the same for the Sales connections.

Then give it a name that will make it easy for you to recognize later and choose between whether or not you want to keep matching values only (inner join) or all values (outer join).

The linked field can now be used as for filtering, so create a new filter with the linked field and select the values. This will be applied to objects from both connections. It can also be used in your recipient import to assign filters to users.

See this tutorial for more: How to Use Linked Fields with Keep All Matching Values Only – Customer Feedback for Vizubi

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Adam for your reply.

I'm quite sure I need to use a Linked Field but have just used it incorrectly.

Can you explain what you mean by "... you will need to create a new field by linking the 2 fields together and then using that new field as a filter?" <- how can I create that new field? Do I do that in NPrinting through a Linked Field?

Here is what I tried: There is a field in both the 'Contracts' and 'Sales' connections/reports called 'office'. In the recipient list under the (later imported) column Filter, I have for each person something else, e.g. office={city1}.

Then I created a Linked Field and added 'office' from both connections.

Then I have added that Linked Field as a filter to the Task which sends out the email with attachment.

But the filter is only applied to the 'Contracts' part - the filter used I think comes from the recipient import anyways.

To answer the questions:

Yes, I am creating the Excel file in NPrinting.

Yes, 1 nsq with 2 connections. HTML reports are based on the 'Contracts' connection and the Excel report from the 'Sales' connection.

Yes, the reports are using the same distribution list because I want to send the 'Contracts' part in the email body and the 'Sales' part as an Excel file attachment to that same email.

No, unfortunately I cannot post the nsq nor qvw as there would be too much to blurr out.

Not applicable
Author

Fabian

It sounds like the issue is with your linked field.  I am not sure if you read Stephen's response along with the attachment.

What you want to do is to create a new linked field - call it Office for both Connections

when you add the fields, make sure you change the connection in the top right so you are not picking fields from the same connection - make sure you check keep matching values only.

Then create a new filter and for the field, pick the linked field

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the reply Stephen,

For creating a Linked Field, I think I did everything as you mentioned but I am confused when it comes to assigning a value. Do you mean I still need to assign values manually?

I have a long list of recipients and each of them has different filter preferences which I would like to use as automated as possible.

Could you clarify that part, please?

Btw, where should that filter be added then - to the task or the report itself?

Thanks again.

Not applicable
Author

see example below

the name of the linked field is 'keep matching values only for year'

the 2 fields that are linked together are year from the connection salesdemo and opp close year from the connection salescompass

in your filter, use the linked field 'keep matching values only for year''

Not applicable
Author

if you want the filter to be applied to all reports and other items in the task, add to the task level, but if it only applies to certain reports, than I would assign to just those specific reports

Stephen_Jasionowski

Yes, Fabian. You will still have to assign values to the linked field as a filter.

So let's say you have named the linked field something like "Region Linked". When you create a new filter, you can add the linked field (it will appear in the list with the other fields from your QVWs) and then assign the value, so that:

Recipient 1 receives Region 1

Recipient 2 receives Region 2

Recipient 3 receives Region 3

and so on.

You do not have to do this manually. You can import the filters that will be associated with your recipients as part of the import recipient process. The process and the syntax used to import filters is explained here: How to Create and Import Recipients with Filters and Distribution Groups – Customer Feedback for Viz...

If I am understanding you correctly, you want the same template distributed to each recipient containing only the data for that recipient's region. In that case, you wouldn't want to filter the report or the task. The filter should be applied to the recipient and this will accomplish the desired output.

All of that is automated thru the use of the recipient import. Please refer to the tutorial above and let me know if you have any questions.

Not applicable
Author

Stephen,

Thanks a lot for your help. I got it working now.

The thing that got me confused was I don't need to apply a filter in NPrinting as I do that already thru the recipient list in Excel format combined with Linked Fields to include multiple connections/ sources