Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

LOAD with a lot of variables

Hi,

I have a rather complicated LOAD from an Excel list where each month one column is inserted in a specific place.

To find out whether or not to load certain columns, I have a script working in several steps (I will attach it all in a txt file so that you can reconstruct it)

- First, I have a FIRST1 LOAD so that I know all the fieldnames;

- Then I parse columns 33 (in this instance) to 45 (12 months) and fill two variables for each:

- If the fieldname is such that it is a real field, the first variable holds its fieldname

- In that case, the second one holds an alias (the fieldname a bit shorter)

- If the fieldname does not meet my criteria, both variables are e.g. > dummy_37 <

Once all those variables are filles, I have the actual LOAD with 12 lines (33 to 45) all looking the same (built up in Excel). They work fine in principle but for a detail:

- When I put the field_variable in square brackets (they do have BLANKs), then the script breaks at line 44 (there is no data for Nov and

thus there is no column) and I get a message "Field not found > dummy_44 <"

- When I put the field_variable in quotes instead, I get only the name of the field in every line, not the value.

Can anyone help me solve that issue?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

11 Replies
Colin-Albert

Perhaps adding lower() and trim() will fix it.

IF LEFT(lower(trim(FieldName($(i), 'Staplergrundkosten'))),5)='dummy' THEN

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi swuehl,

but for that EXIT FOR which leaves the loop and saves any unnecessary iterations afaIk, I cannot really spot a difference between your code and mine?

Can you explain that to me, please?

P.S.: Oh, I see - with my version, the first field found was nr. 23, but the next one also starts with 'dummy', so the value was overwritten.

Thanks a lot!

P.S.: I haven't been here for a while, there is more potential for VBA in my company than for QlikView - but the issue with the real_name emails being sent seems to still persist?

Best regards,

DataNibbler