Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to minimize the reload task time in Qlikview Management Console

Hello everyone,

Good to be here between Qlikview Experts. I have been working on one of the new tasks assigned to me, but I am unable to accomplish this task, if you all can share your views and if you could please answer this question of mine, would be wonderful.

I am editing an existing/already created Qlikview Application, size of qvw file is 170mb.

Obviously it would take forever to run/reload this qvw through Qlikview Desktop, So I initialized this by creating a task in QMC[ Qlikview Management Console] and started reloading(after making few script level changes= incremental loading ) there and it takes almost 1 to 2 days to complete .

Question:-

1. How do I minimize the time taken to reload this qvw in QMC?

2. Irrespective of the file size, there should be some procedure to make sure the QMC wouldn't take long time to run/reload the assigned/created task, how do I achieve this?

In one of my previous companies, I have worked on Qvw file of size 15mb and it would take not more than 5min to reload and distribute it to the users, I understand this new qvw I am working on is huge but there should be some way to minimize the reload time?

Can you all please help me understand how do I achieve this?

I'm posting question first time here, if in case I am not clear with my question, give me a moment to explain it again?

Labels (1)
6 Replies
arasantorule
Creator III
Creator III

Hi Sanam,

Is your QV application has a separate QVD loader application.

If not you may separate the application into two level. One is to load data from the source to Qlikview form (QVD) with all possible transformations.

Second one will be your main application to fetch data from the QVD loaded in the level 1 with the visualization in place.

Then we will need to schedule the main application reload on completion of the reload of QVD loader application.

Please let us know otherwise.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

To reduce reload time look into following threads:

what is performance tuning in qlikview project?

see the attachment as well

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If you turn on the reload log of the document, you will be able to see which steps are taking a long time to complete. On Document Properties | General, check the "Generate Logfile" option and perform a reload. The document log os a text file in the same folder and with the same name as the document, but with a .log extension.

If this takes too long, make a copy of the document and open it in QV desktop (you will need a PC/server with sufficient RAM). Click CtrL-E to go to the script editor and select the debug option in the toolbar. Check the limited load option and select a maximum number of rows to reload. Start with a low number, say 5% of the actual amount of rows. Then click Run to perform the reload. Then examine the reload log. Repeat this and Increase the number of rows to a large enough number to see the problem.

Then focus your attention on the long running portions of the load.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

170MB constitues a rather small-to-medium-sized document.

In QMC task definitions (with or without Publisher), there will be an input field to enter the maximum delay a reload task can last. If this limit is reached, the Distribution Service will kill the reload job and the previous version of your document will be available instead. See QMC->Documents->User Documents->Your document->Reload->Timeout seconds (no Publisher) or QMC->Documents->Source Documents->Your document->Task->Triggers->Task Execution Options->Timeout in Minutes.

The most probable cause of slow reloads is that your load script simply requires that amount of time to do what you tell it to do. Examples include JOINS with excessive memory requirements, multiple reads from large external tables, slow data source connections (e.g. SAP), nested FOR loops that execute 10000+ times, badly written LOAD statements, etc.

As Jonathan suggested, you should first investigate where exactly your script is spending an inordinate amount of time. Then you can try to optimize that phase, or post that part of your script in this discussion if you want help.

Best,

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Hi Arasan,

Thanks for replying me, Yes my Qlikview Application has seperate QVD's which were transformed and used in application

Not applicable
Author

Hi Balraj,

Thank you for sharing this documents, this has some helpful content, I have been through it and i will start impementing it, inorder to Optimize my QVW.