Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Creating a new dimension in Qlik Sense

Hi,

im facing following problem right now:

I got a date_field in may database which marks the date a person left the company.

For example: 

PersonEnd of duty (Date

Now i want to retrieve a new data_field which shows how many person already left the company and how many are left.

For example today (27.11.2015) the persons '1' and '3' already left but '2' is still on a running contract.

Id like to create a new field giving me the information whether the contract is still running or not.

Person End of duty (Date)Status
122.01.2015left
223.12.2015running contract
331.07.2015left

Anyone having an idea how I can achieve this second table? And maybe some hints how to create the expression for it?

Thanks a lot!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

Got it

Try this:

SET DateFormat='DD.MM.YYYY';

Table:

LOAD Person,

[End of duty (Date)]

If([End of duty (Date)] < Today(), 'Left', 'Running Contract') as Status

FROM source

View solution in original post

7 Replies
sunny_talwar

From what you have provided how did you know that 1 and 3 left, but 2 is running contract? I don't really understand the logic here?

Not applicable
Author

Oh ok my provided information might be a bit confusing.

The given date in the table marks the point when a person left the company. So today (27.11.2015) person 1 and 3 should be marked as 'left', because their contract ended on the 22.01.2015 and 31.07.2015. Person 2 will be with the company until 31.12.2015, so from today point of view he has still a 'running contract'.

So im looking to add the attribute 'left' & 'running'.

If [End of Duty(Date)] < 'Today' AND [End of Duty(Date)] = 'empty/null'

then 'left'

else 'running'

sunny_talwar

Got it

Try this:

SET DateFormat='DD.MM.YYYY';

Table:

LOAD Person,

[End of duty (Date)]

If([End of duty (Date)] < Today(), 'Left', 'Running Contract') as Status

FROM source

Not applicable
Author

Thanks a lot it worked for me!

Unfortunately I found some NULL in my dataset. In this case NULL means also 'left', how can I add this?

sunny_talwar

Try this:

If([End of duty (Date)] < Today() or Len(Trim([End of duty (Date)])) = 0, 'Left', 'Running Contract') as Status

Not applicable
Author

Thanks a lot again for the quick help! All worked out so far, instead of 0 I used ''.

One last question for the moment:

Is there any possible way to not take the "else" statement 'Running Contract' into account? So the Status will only hold the if value 'left'.

Regards!

sunny_talwar

Try this:

If([End of duty (Date)] >= Today(), 'Running Contract', 'Left') as Status