Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Conditional renaming of certain values on import

Hi folks,

I've got 'Customer' data I'm importing from SQL database, and one of the fields is 'County' which is basically just a sub-national classification. Because of inconsistent importing of the data, we have multiple values which mean the same thing, for example, 'Virginia' and 'VA'.

I can change one of these mismatches by using the following code in my LOAD statement:

if(County = 'Virginia', 'VA', County) as County;

but I'm stumbling on how to get more than one mismatched value, such as

if(County = 'Utah', 'UT', County) as County,

if(County = 'Virginia', 'VA', County) as County;

I know I'm going about this the wrong way, and I was hoping someone out there might know how I could do this for multiple cases. Thanks!

Jonathan

6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

you have to do in this way like:

if(County = 'Utah', 'UT',

if(County = 'Virginia', 'VA',

if(County = 'XCV', 'XC',County))) as County;

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

No need to add Country Field again and again, once you are done with mismatch then in else part at the end of condition you need to mention Country Field

simondachstr
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

This example is bad practise balrajahlawat - you should be maintaining a mapping table in Excel or Inline ([From Field], [To Field]) and use the ApplyMap() functionality in your load statement.

tamilarasu
Champion
Champion

Hi Jonathan,

Try pick and match function like below,

CountyData:

LOAD *,

Pick(Match(County,'Utah','Virginia','XCV')+1,County,'UT','VA','XC') as CountyNew;

LOAD * INLINE [

County

Utah

XCV

sd

Virginia

];

Let me know.

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I agree with mahlerma - do not hard code a lookup like this. Use a mapping table that can be loaded from an inline load or (better) an external source like Excel or a database table. Then when new or changed mappings are needed, there is no need to dive into the code. Especially for a case like this when you might pick up new abbreviations from time to time.

As an example for inline (which is easily converted to an external source if required):

MapLookups:

Mapping LOAD * Inline

[

From, To

Utah, UT

Virginia, VA

Vgna, VA

Virg, VA

];

Data:

LOAD

Applymap('MapLookups', County, County) As County

FROM ...;

This will return the original value if the value is not in the lookup table.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
reddy-s
Master II
Master II

Hi jonathan,

Applymap() is the way to go. You can even use LOOKUP() to achieve the same.