Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Newbie failed to open document - Personal Edition license issue

Hello,

I have some troubles opening my document with Personal Edition, Version 10.00.8715.5 IR

Situation:

I am using stand alone laptop at home. Downloaded Qv, created new document, connected to my mysql server running on the same laptop, tested some features, saved document and closed qv. Next day tried to do some more work with the same document found an error:

"This QlikView document was created by another QlikView Personal Edition User.....

Do you want to continue and recover the file?"

At first I thought that file was broken or something, but when I did recovery It opened the same file and it was ok. Closed that file. Opened new one. Saved with a different name. Closed Qlikview. Opened Qlikview. Now I am getting error on both files (or others I tried later)

I am only user using pc, and there is no other user account on it (I am using Administrator account)

Question1

can somebody explain me what can be wrong and than what is the way to resolve this situation?

Question2

On the error screen there is a warning that says 'However, if you recover the file, you will no longer be able to open files created with your current user key.' Can somebody give more detailed explanation about this.

Thank you in advance

3 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Check this out (http://www.visualintelligence.co.nz/Content.php?article_uid=db83c8a8-b81d-102c-b9e1-0022191d1e2d)

With QlikView 9, everyone is free to create QlikView documents for personal use. Hence, a normal QlikView desktop can be run without purchasing a license. There are no limitations, except that it is not possible to open QlikView documents created by other users. Nor is it possible to import an entire layout from an xml file.

Technically, every QlikView document is now saved with a user key - information tied to the user and the computer. A QlikView Server or a user of a full edition QlikView (a purchased license) can open any file, but a user of QlikView Personal Edition can only open files with the correct user key. Should you change computers, you will not be able to open your old documents with QlikView Personal Edition. However, you will be asked to recover your files instead. The difference is that a new user key is generated and used for subsequent files. QlikView will accept four (4) user key changes.

suniljain
Master
Master

I think You installed QV Personal edition more thant one time and during while the registry is updated.

Not applicable
Author

No, I installed QV just once.

I found the problem. As I installed my windows, installation asked to enter user name, later I deleted that user account and started to use Administrator account. When I installed QV other account was already deleted, but QV istallation by default used that name which was still in registry and I didnt changed it. So basicaly QV was tied to account that doesn't exist.

Thanks for responce anyway.