Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Nested If Statements

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of if statements that can be nested within an expression for a chart in Qlik Sense?  I have 19 and it works fine.  20 seems to make the expression not work, but I wanted to make sure it was a limitation and not something else that perhaps was going wrong.  I couldn't seem to find any other errors, but I am pretty new to this.

Also, if 20 is the limit, does anyone have any ideas on how to get around that limitation in the following scenario?

I have 28 options that can be selected for a variable called Metric.Name

Based on what is selected for Metric.Name, I have if statements controlling the content of a pivot table.  I need 28 if statements to control it for all the variables.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

The if-loops could be replaced with a pick(match()) approach like:

pick(

match(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name), 'AMI 2', 'AMI 3', 'AMI 5', 'AMI 10', 'VTE 2', 'VTE 5', ....),

$(vaAMI2("*")), $(vaAMI3("*")), $(vaAMI5("*")), $(vaAMI10("*")), $(vaVTE2("*")), $(vaVTE5("*")), ...)

- Marcus

View solution in original post

9 Replies
marcus_sommer

Within qlikview there is a limit of 99 nested if-loop. I don't know if such a limit in sense is lesser. But nearly always are better (in developing, maintaining and performance) solutions possible, see here an example: Re: Substitute to nested ifs

- Marcus

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

I tried putting > 20 nested IFs and it works. But i think you should look at alternatives too.  Advising on which alternative would require more information .

subbareddykm
Creator II
Creator II

Hi,

We can use more thn 20.

Can you share your Expression ?

Not applicable
Author

Sure, here is my statement so far.  This one works.  Essentially, I have all the "false statements" already pre-written out and then am just pasting them in for the "0" at the end of the expression.  When I paste in the "RN Clinical Justification" part, it no longer works.  That, however, works on it's own.

Works:

if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='AMI 2', $(vaAMI2("*")), if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='AMI 3', $(vaAMI3("*")),if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='AMI 5', $(vaAMI5("*")),if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='AMI 10', $(vaAMI10("*")),

if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='VTE 2', $(vaVTE2("*")),if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='VTE 5', $(vaVTE5("*")),if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='STK 8', $(vaSTK8("*")),if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='PN 2', $(vaPN2("*")),

if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='PN 3A', $(vaPN3A("*")),if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='PN 7', $(vaPN7("*")),if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='PC 1', $(vaPC1("*")),if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='PC 5', $(vaPC5("*")),

if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='Pain Assessed Every 4 Hrs', $(vaPainAssessed("*")),if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='Pain Reass. w/in 30 mins for IV/IM', $(vaPainReassessedIV("*")),if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='Pain Reass. w/in 1 hr non-IV/IM', $(vaPainReassessedNonIV("*")),

if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='Foley Care Documented', $(vaFoleyCare("*")),if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='Secure Device Documented', $(vaSecureDevice("*")),if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='Order Upon Application', $(vaRestraintOrder("*")),

if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='Face-to-Face', $(vaFacetoFace("*")),0)))))))))))))))))))

Additional parts I wanted to add:

//if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='RN Clinical Justification', $(vaCliniclJustification("*")),0)

//if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='Criteria Explained', $(vaCriteriaExplained("*")),0)

//if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='Debriefing', $(vaDebriefing("*")),0)

//if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='Q2H Restraint Monitoring', $(vaQ2HMonitoring("*")),0)

So when I replace the 0 and add the RN Clinical Justification section like the statement below, it no longer works.

if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='AMI 2', $(vaAMI2("*")), if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='AMI 3', $(vaAMI3("*")),if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='AMI 5', $(vaAMI5("*")),if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='AMI 10', $(vaAMI10("*")),

if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='VTE 2', $(vaVTE2("*")),if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='VTE 5', $(vaVTE5("*")),if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='STK 8', $(vaSTK8("*")),if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='PN 2', $(vaPN2("*")),

if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='PN 3A', $(vaPN3A("*")),if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='PN 7', $(vaPN7("*")),if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='PC 1', $(vaPC1("*")),if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='PC 5', $(vaPC5("*")),

if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='Pain Assessed Every 4 Hrs', $(vaPainAssessed("*")),if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='Pain Reass. w/in 30 mins for IV/IM', $(vaPainReassessedIV("*")),if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='Pain Reass. w/in 1 hr non-IV/IM', $(vaPainReassessedNonIV("*")),

if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='Foley Care Documented', $(vaFoleyCare("*")),if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='Secure Device Documented', $(vaSecureDevice("*")),if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='Order Upon Application', $(vaRestraintOrder("*")),

if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='Face-to-Face', $(vaFacetoFace("*")),if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='RN Clinical Justification', $(vaCliniclJustification("*")),0))))))))))))))))))))

Not applicable
Author

After hours of trouble shooting, as soon as I posted this, I realized I missed a letter 'a' in this expression and that is what caused it to not find the it as a variable.  When I was troubleshooting, I didn't miss the 'a' which is why it worked on its own.

//if(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name)='RN Clinical Justification', $(vaCliniclJustification("*")),0)

That said, I would like to hear more information on a better way to accomplish this.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jonathan,

I realized after hours of searching I had a spelling error.  That said, I posted more information under Subbareddy's response.  I am interested in hearing more information on a better way to do this.

Thanks,

Melissa

marcus_sommer

The if-loops could be replaced with a pick(match()) approach like:

pick(

match(GetFieldSelections(Metric.Name), 'AMI 2', 'AMI 3', 'AMI 5', 'AMI 10', 'VTE 2', 'VTE 5', ....),

$(vaAMI2("*")), $(vaAMI3("*")), $(vaAMI5("*")), $(vaAMI10("*")), $(vaVTE2("*")), $(vaVTE5("*")), ...)

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Thanks, I will try this.  Is this more efficient, performance wise, than the if loops?

marcus_sommer

Yes, the performance from a pick(match()) which is in this way a kind of lookup will be significantly better then nested if-loops.

- Marcus