Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rthamman
Contributor III
Contributor III

Custom functions

Need help on two things:

1. Is it possible to create custom functions in qliksense?

2. Is it possible to create custom chart objects. for example, custom KPI so that I can add border around the displayed value. Right now  KPI display is very bland

5 Replies
reddy-s
Master II
Master II

Hi Rama,

1) Qlik has umpteen number of functions available and I never fcame accross a situation where I felt I had a function for some issue. Most of the time you can achive the output you need by using functions existing or nest the functions to get to where you want to.

Check this out:https://community.qlik.com/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/2885-102-1-3071/QV10%20Functions%20Cheats...

2) Yes, you create what ever you visualize in your mind. I am not trying to exaggerate what is possible with QlikSense, but thats true. You have all degrees of freedom to develope your own visualizations and present the data the way you need.

rthamman
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks Sangram for the response. Note - we are using Qliksense.

Here's the scenarios for the custom function - we have a KPI value getting displayed in a couple of sheets of an app with an input condition. For example, show number of customers for a given client. Rather than having to duplicate  expression for each occurrence, I want a custom function that will take in client Id and return the customer count.

On the the visualization - can you point me to an example? For example, I want to create a KPI object with a border.

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

I agree with Sangram, although certain heavy analytic functions that you may do in R may not be suited for Qlik.  Best idea is ask the community about a certain type of function.  You can author the function in your load editor , a variable or in the UI.  If you use variables, you can define the expression externally to QLIK and load it into multiple apps while controlling the expression in 1 place.

As for control, Text Object has a bit more control than a KPI object. On Branch, you will find a few other examples that showcase what a javascript developer can build with the qlik sense API. These are called extensions . The extensions are just dashboard widgets that you custom code, then deploy into your desktop or server environment.

A border is not offered in qlik sense out of box objects, its kind of overkill but you would have to code an extension to do this in the context of a KPI or text object. Have a look on branch, you may be in luck.

http://branch.qlik.com/

reddy-s
Master II
Master II

Hi Rama,

As Jonatan had mentioned QlikBranch is the right place for you search for an extension you are looking for. If you do not find any visualisation which matches your requirement , Please let me know and I will help you in building a custom visual to fit your requirement.

- Sangram

rthamman
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Sangram, thanks for the follow through. I was able to find the following that fits my need for the custom object. However, it doesn't show up when exported to PDF. Any suggestion on making it appear in the PDF. I realize there needs to be some code change to the extension but not sure what attributes need to be turned on so that export to PDF can pick up the object.

Themable KPI Tile for Qlik Sense's Thumbnail

Themable KPI Tile for Qlik Sense