Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Best way to include Map in an Qlik Sense file?

Hi All,

This post is in regards to using an KML file to load Map onto an Qlik Sense dashboard.

Although i was successful in loading an World Map from a KML file by mapping it using CountryName from my DB(SQL).

But, the outcome is rather slow and even consumes more than a minute only to load the map.

Could any one please suggest an alternate or best way on this approach.

TIA,

Best Regards.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
reddy-s
Master II
Master II

Hi Sai Kumar,

Refer to the Screen shots and the qvf file attached.

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Best Regards,

Sangram Reddy.

View solution in original post

26 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

did you try with this extension?

Qlik Sense SVG Reader

SVG Map Extension

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the quick response Ahlawat,

Is this extension free like the KML extension, and does this have an World Map add-in?

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

How big is the KML file ? It may have a lot more details than really required.  Consider processing the file in something like qGIS to remove detail and reload the less granular KML into SENSE:

To reduce the complexity of a KML file, you can do this for free with qGIS: http://www.qgis.org/en/site/

• Load the KML file into qGIS
  • Right-click on the layer you want to simplify select Zoom to Layer so that you can see the entire layer.
  • In the menu bar, go to Vector -> Geometry tools -> Simplify geometries. This opens a window and your layer should be selected in the Input line or polygon layer drop down menu. If not, select it.

• Next, look for the Simplify tolerance field. This measurement is in degrees so you want to use a really small number. The default of 0.0001 is a good place to start.
  • Check Save to new file and save it as a .shp file
  • Check Add result to canvas to add the simplified layer into qGIS
  • Once reduced a new window will tell you how many vertices were removed. It should have removed somewhere between 70 percent to 90 percent of the original vertices.

• Right-click the new layer and select Save As...
  • Select Format: Keyhole Markup Language (KML) and save the layer as a new (reduced) KML fil
Not applicable
Author

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the suggestion and sorry for the delayed response.

I'm basically trying to load an World Map from KML, could you please suggest on how to figure out the non-required stuff.

Not applicable
Author

Reddys310

I have been watching your active help and response to lot other posts.

Could you please see if this is something i could be pulled put of.

TIA.

reddy-s
Master II
Master II

Hi SaiKumar,

The reason for the performance issue could be that you are trying to plot a kml file which has multitude number of polygons. As you might be having data only for a few countries in world map, I would suggest you to follow this.

Just plot the polygons which have data or measures associated to it and make use of the background property in the properties panel.

Capture1.PNG

And the output would be some thing like this:

Capture.PNG

Though you are not plotting the entire world map using the polygon data, you happen to visualize all the information required.

Hope this helps you resolve your issue.

Thanks,

Sangram

Not applicable
Author

Hi Sangram,

Thanks for the quick response. As in the image below i have only been considering countries which have presence in my data.

And also turning the background is making the map show up more then once.

Capture.JPG

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

My suggestion above was to decrease the precision of the polygons. That will reduce the files size considerably and allow it work faster in Qlik Sense.

I'm not clear if you followed the steps above or not. Did you follow them ?  Or are you asking for alternatives ? 

An alternative, which i think could be less effective, is as follows:

MainData:

Load

Country,

from <>

KML:

Load

Country,

<other KML Fields>

from <KML file>

where exists(Country,Country);

This would only load the country polygons from for the countries that exist in your main data sets.  This will introduce holes in gaps in the map, but with the technique mentioned by Sangram you could fill those by turning on the map background. 

reddy-s
Master II
Master II

Hi Sai Kumar,

Looks great!

Hope that helped you solve the issue.

Beast Regards,

Sangram Reddy.