Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Map/coordinate questions

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to create a map in qlik sense. I know how to do it when you already have the coordinates (long and lat), but I don't have it in my data. I only have the names of cities and countries. I've tried it with googlemaps (someone I know tried to help me, but apparently it didn't work in qlik sense, which he found odd). Does anyone know a good way to get the coordinates for the different cities and countries that I have?

Any help would be useful. Have a good day 😃

Sincerely,

Betty Habtemariam

17 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Really? How? 😃 I'm just so very new at this and feel like I'm doing a trial and error kind of thing, haha!

fmazzarelli
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi,

i developed a similar project.

I'm at your disposal for whatever you may need

Fabio M

Not applicable
Author

Perhaps you can save the Lat and Long in an QVD-file once and afterwards just load the data of the qvd. this would replace the internet access as well and would be faster in Qlik Sense.

Regards Tobi

Not applicable
Author

I'm still trying, but haven't succeeded yet. I tried the one with google map and putting all the post codes in an excel file would take too long since there are WAY too many cities to type. I'm at my breaking point, haha! Do you have any suggestion?

Sincerely,

Betty Habtemariam

reddy-s
Master II
Master II

Hi Betty,

Just find a KML file which has the polygon information for all your post codes.The file should have the post code and the polygon path. this can be used to plot the map with countries.

fmazzarelli
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

hi,

it's the first video about *.kml.

Using the Maps Chart Object - Points Maps - Part 1 - (video)

Not applicable
Author

Hi Betty,

Another option would to use a 3rd party map extension that supports on-the-fly lookup of cities and countries.

I recommend IdevioMaps which is fast and is easy to work with! (Disclaimer, I work for Idevio:-).

More info and live demos at QlikMarket:

http://market.qlik.com/ideviomaps-for-qlik-sense.html

Thanks,

Patric Nordström, Idevio

bi.idevio.com