Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Post QV9 Upgrade Performance has eroded

We upgraded our environment last weekend from 8.5 to 9.6. In our previous configuration we had two standalone servers, both having 4 quad cores and 128 gigs of RAM. In 8.5, our average query came back in roughly 5-10 seconds. Our times now hover around 30 - 60 seconds.

During the upgrade, we migrated to Windows 2008 SR2 server, and implemented a clustered environment. I now have a mutany on my hands from the business and I'm running out of ideas.

I set the power plan on the OS to performance as recommended by post http://community.qlik.com/forums/t/33509.aspx and I plan to disable hyperthreading tomorrow night.

I've also clocked the speed on the Access Point versus the thick client, and notice the times are better when using the client, however, I really don't want to roll that out to the business again (but I will if I have too)

I'm wondering if anyone else is/has expereinced this, and have any suggestions on how to make it better.

Thanks in advance, Rob

4 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Ouch... There were too many changes in one go: QlikView version upgrade, QV clustering, and Windows upgrade.

You mention also hyperthreading: did you switch hardware too? In that lucky case, just power back the old servers and than take your time to separate what went wrong.

Regarding rollback on same hardware:

• Having same issue with upgrade from 2003 to 2008. However, rolling OS installation is very time consuming . And you depend on a lot of people to approve and implement.
  • Clustered AccessPoint is slow in QV9. De-clustering QV is easy; users were used having two standalone machines. Or see here for a workaround with static HTML: accesspoint: http://community.qlik.com/media/p/148199.aspx
  • QVS is comparable in speed in both versions. Reload tasks are multi-threaded in QV 9, so running more CPU intensive reloads same time will use more CPU. This is especially noticeable if QVS and Publisher are in same hardware.

-Alex

Not applicable
Author

It's the same hardware. We did an upgrade on the OS, then upgraded the QV software. I read somewhere that Windows 2008 SR2 was introducing some turbo processing which could impeded performance on optimized software packages like QV. That's why I was thinking that turning off hyperthreading would help (or at least it's something to try that I thought had merit).

Not applicable
Author

Hyperthreading has to be OFF regardless of windows 2003 / 2008.

Not applicable
Author

Looks like hyperthreading was off by default on both servers, so that's good. I enabled the node-interleave and disabled the hardware pre-fetch on both servers based on recommendations from QV Support. It did speed up the system a little bit, but not overwhelming.

Here's a list of things I've tried:

• diabled performance logging on the QEMC
  • BIOS changes mentioned above
  • modified the config file to have our cluster go from 'Random' to 'DocumentLoad'
  • Modified the Max Memory configurations on the QEMC > Performance tab and doubled all the values
  • Made data modeling changes to gain a few seconds here and there.
  • changed the QVSTimeout flag from 60 seconds to 600 seconds
  • disabled preloading documents (documents were loading on both servers in the cluster instead of just 1

If anyone has any other tricks to try let me know. It seems that the 'search' functionality seems a lot slower on large, unique fields in QV9.6. I like the yellow highlight, but it seems to have slowed us down quite a bit. Has anyone else experienced that?