Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aritting
Creator
Creator

Metric Library from "Qlik Platform" vs QDF variable editor

Can anyone share their experience and/or knowledge in either storing expressions in either a Metric Library versus storing expressions in the QDF variable editor.

I would like to reuse the label and definition of chart expressions in multiple charts in a single or multiple qvw applications in the same container.  I would like one location for all my definitions so I can print them for documentation and make change the name of a field easier.

I've watched Michale Tarrallo's video, Video 7 - Creating a Shared Expression with the Variable Editor‌, and he suggests creating variables for the metric expression and the label in the variable editor of the QDF framework.

This seems more cumbersome than using either a spreadsheet or database. 

At a recent qlik user group meeting I saw present "The Qlik Platform....Demonstrated"  in which he used a metric spreadsheet and a qlik mart to show the same data model and metrics in both qlikview and qlik sense. However, he was not using the QDF framework in his example.

I don't have access to the demonstration script in which Brad loaded the Metric QVD that he used in his model.  However, This method seemed much less cumbersome than putting the expressions into the QDF variable editor.

The "qlikview developer framework" and the "Qlik platform" seem to be an ideal match.  I just don't want to blaze any new trails and I'm hoping that this is documented or demonstrated already.

@

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aritting
Creator
Creator
Author

Attached is my answer in an example application

View solution in original post

4 Replies
aritting
Creator
Creator
Author

Attached is my answer in an example application

Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

Hi Andrew, as you pointed out yourself, the framework is a base for your development on top of this you can add whatever "modules" needed to do the job. Custom Variables that is built into QDF is basic and fulfill some use cases, but not all of them.

Best regards

Magnus

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

To-date rather than use the variable editor directly I have maintained my variable definitions through a text editor such as sublime. I have found this to be the most efficient method. I usually create the first variable via the editor to ensure that the format is correct. From then on I edit the file directly.