cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chart bunches up when multiple dimensions

Hi

I'm comparatively new to QlikView, but have managed a few dashboards successfully.  My latest however is really tricking me in the way the chart is laid out.

The challenge lies in me having multiple dimensions represented hierarchically: business units grouped within region.

If I only have Business Unit as a dimension, the chart is great:

BU.jpg

If I only have Region, also great.  However if I have both the formatting turns out awfully, with thin lines, uneven spacing, and bars not aligned to their labels:

Both.jpg

Has anyone come across this before?  Both the data and the QVW are attached - would be grateful for any insights.

Thanks

Andrew

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

If you change your Charts Properties -> Style -> Subtype -> Stacked. That might make it look better.

awhitfield
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

Hi Andrew,

On Dimension, promote Region above Business Unit, then on style, change the subtype to stacked.

Chart then looks much better

HTH

andy

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Gents, that does make a difference.  However I think I've found the underlying issue: Each Business Unit only exists in 1 country.  When I group by country as a dimension, the chart creates empty columns for every Business Unit in every Country. Eg. if I select only 2 countries you can see units 211-246 only have data for South Africa, yet are repeated as empty columns for Tanzania:

grouped.jpg

I've tried suppressing Zero-Values an Missing values but no luck.  Ideally I want a chart that only shows the Business Units within a region that has data - in other words a graphical representation of the below table:

data.jpg

Thanks

Andrew