Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Line chart values hidden by other lines

Hi

I have a line chart graph where the lines run on top of other lines as the values are so close. We need a way to  have the lines not overlap as much so you can see each line. This varies a lot between client as some may have values on the line chart running within 100000 of each other, in other case this may be in the millions.

I have tried different line styles and colors already, so this does not seem to be the solution. I have also taken out the forced 0 out  As seen in the example this is that I cannot separate the lines. Probably something with the scaling would work. Note though that for some values may sun in millions in other cases it could be in thousands

27 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Unfortunately no, these are trendlines they want to see  was hoping there was a way to spread out the values on the y-axis.

awhitfield
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

OK try this:

1. on presentation tab set the Line width to 4

2. on expression tab, select sum(finance) and set the Line Style to '<S3>'

3. on expression tab, select sum(Target) and set the Line Style to '<W0.5>'

and you can see both lines quite clearly

Andy

Andy

Not applicable
Author

a completely different approach you can take, especially since so many of the numbers overlap, is to plot 1 line that is just the difference, and when you hover, you can show values for original, current and the difference

you can also go to the mumbers tab and put in symbols for thousands and millions

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You can set static min & max based on the low/high values in the data.

RangeMin(

Min(aggr(sum(Finance), Year))

,Min(aggr(sum(Target), Year))

)

See attached.

-Rob

http://masterssummit.com

http://qlikviewcookbook.com

Not applicable
Author

Hi Rob

I did what you suggested, most of the other guys have been helpful but yours so far is closest to what I am looking for. I attached and example of real figures on my model just to show what it does, Year 1314 everything is too close still, year 1415 and 1516 is what I am looking for but the lines are outside the range of the Line chart.

Did I miss something you did on your example?

Also I would like an alternative to having divide by 1000000 in the expressions. If I take it out there the Static Min and Static max also needs a change, but this is not the big issue right now. For now I can live with it and change it later

Not applicable
Author

See the reply to Rob  about using the divide by million. Something is not working 100% with the divide by 1000000, I have used your suggestion before in some other models, just here with the ranges on the line chart it does not work for me. Not sure again if I just have something small I am missing

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Here's your sample modified to fix the 1314 year. The  selection in MonthName needed to be ignored in the Max()/Min() as well as the Sum(). See the attached.

Also, as an alternative to dividing by million, I just used the auto scaling on the Number tab.

-Rob

http://masterssummit.com

http://qlikviewcookbook.com

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Rob, where is the autoscaling on the Number tab? Is it just using the $, $K, $M symbols

Not applicable
Author

Got it, understand what you are doing. Two questions still though. What does Statis Step 1 do exactly?

Then is there a way of getting the values on the points to show within the value range , example having 138995 and 138965 also showing as values?

Not applicable
Author

Hi

I added few fields we are also using to the RangeMin and RangeMax and now it's not working. I have had a look through the manuals but I am not understanding what is wrong. I think I do not understand what I should have between "Min" and "aggr(Sum" example why are you including the Monthname exclusion there, should I be adding all my fields as well?

RangeMin(  Min({<MonthName=,AccountType = {P},BudgetTypeGroup = {Expenditure}>}aggr(Sum({<MonthName=,AccountType = {P},BudgetTypeGroup = {Expenditure}>}BudgetDistributionCalculation), FinancialYear, MonthName)) 

,Min({<MonthName=,AccountType = {P},BudgetTypeGroup = {Expenditure}>}aggr(Sum({<MonthName=,AccountType = {P},BudgetTypeGroup = {Expenditure}>}BudgetDistributionCalculation + BudgetMovementMonthly), FinancialYear, MonthName))

)