Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
suniljain
Master
Master

is Restructuring of QVD affect performance ?.

suppose in single table conatain 10 years of data .I have 120 column for 7 years and after that i increases no of column i.e for 3 years no of column is 150.

is restructuring of QVD affect performance ?.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Sunil,

The danger is that QlikView will try and associate the tables rather than concatenate - this will lead to a very bad synthetic key issue. It will probably actually crash during the load.

You can avoid this by using the "Concatenate (Table1) Load" syntax and QlikView will force the concatenate and effectively populate all the null values for you.

The load from QVD will be much slower if you go this route though - I believe up to 100 times slower. I certainly recommend adding the extra columns to the old QVD's.

Regards,
Steve

View solution in original post

4 Replies
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Sunil,

The biggest issue to look out for is making sure that all of your QVD's load in Optimized (super fast) mode. This will not be the case if all QVDs loaded do not have exactly the same columns in them. Any translation of the data on the way out of the QVD will cause it not to load in Optimized mode - search communities for more information on this.

What I would suggest you do in this instance is to add the extra thirty columns to the old QVDs with nulls or zeros (use zeros for numerics as QlikView is more efficient summing zeros than ignoring nulls). If you can run the creation routine for the old QVDs again it is straightforward to add the new columns at this point. If that is not possible you can create a QVD generate routine that loads from the old QVD's with the extra columns added and then writes new QVD's out again. This second approach will undoubtably be quicker than going back to the original source.

Hope that helps - please post back if you have further questions.

Regards,
Steve

suniljain
Master
Master
Author

suppose i donot put extra column for old qvd and directly add new 30 column . then what internal structure look like ?.

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Sunil,

The danger is that QlikView will try and associate the tables rather than concatenate - this will lead to a very bad synthetic key issue. It will probably actually crash during the load.

You can avoid this by using the "Concatenate (Table1) Load" syntax and QlikView will force the concatenate and effectively populate all the null values for you.

The load from QVD will be much slower if you go this route though - I believe up to 100 times slower. I certainly recommend adding the extra columns to the old QVD's.

Regards,
Steve

suniljain
Master
Master
Author

Thank You so much Steve