Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garystrader
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

NPrinting 256 column limit for straight tables

The situation:

• QlikView straight table source has > 256 columns.
  • QlikView seems to only be able to export a max of 256 columns (because it's using Excel 2003 engine?).
  • Excel 2010 is installed on the NPrinting server, and we're using that for templates with the standard .xlsx extension.
  • NPrinting report can read the entire straight table metadata, see all the columns (more than 256), and I can add them to the template.
  • Exported NPrinting reports are getting cut off after the 256th column - every column after position 256 is blank.

Anybody have any workarounds for this?

6 Replies
Not applicable

Gary,

This may sound pretty idiotic, but I'd give it a try;

- add the chart twice.

- from the first instance, add the first 255 columns

- from the second instance, add columns 256 - 510 on the same row so that it appears that it's one chart (which in fact it is).

This will "query" the chart a second time and hopefully pull in the remaining columns.

Hope this helps.

Best

Aran

garystrader
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Aran,

Creative workaround!  I added the table as a "Level" so that I could use it in a native excel pivot table.  I was able to add the table twice to "Levels", but I can't remove the columns from the new Level object.  Is there a way to get this trick to work when my end goal is to create native Excel pivot tables?

I was looking for a workaround like this, because the only other solution I could think of was to maintain multiple copies of the straight table, each with <256 columns.

Stephen_Jasionowski

Gary -

There are 2 ways to build a pivot table in Excel using NPrinting. The first involves adding the table as a level. The second involves adding the table's columns to the template and using that range as the source for the pivot data.

That process is outlined here: How to Create a Pivot Table from Excel Table Columns

In this case, you would not need to use the level.

Not applicable

Gary,

I'm unclear why you add the charts as levels.

I don't think this should be necessary and may slow things down slightly.

To make the Excel pivot table, just drag in the fields from the charts and format both the header row and the row with the tag as an Excel "Table" (select the cells in Excel and click on insert Table).

Then click on any cell in the Excel table and click "Summarize with PivotTable".

This launches the Excel pivot table wizard.

Let me know if this resolves the issue.

Best

Aran

garystrader
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Because I read a different article that describes how to do it using levels.  How to Create an Excel PivotTable Report

I'll try this, thanks!

Not applicable

Here's the updated version:

How to Create a Pivot Table from Excel Table Columns

Sorry you saw the old one.