Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Expression syntax

Is there a good post or reference for QlikView expression and variable syntax? The online Help is not really adequate and the forums have formulae but not much in the way of explanations.

(if(column(1),count({<Team=,NAME=,Role={'Solution Author'}>} distinct CASE_ID)) - column(7))

Why the < {, when do I need < > and { } along with single and double quotes.

Appreciated.

David Rowe

3 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello David,

The things between "{" and "}" in an aggregation function (sum, count, avg) are called Set Analysis (can be found in par. 20.4 Book III Ref. Manual for v9 SR6) . There is some documentation in the Reference Manual (referring, for example, to the set modifiers which go between "<" and ">"). Quoting is among others in par. 21.6 Book I of the Ref. Manual (v9 SR6). But for set analysis, numbers don't need quoting (nor variables which dollar expansion results on a number), literals ("strings" need single quotes, and search strings ("A*" meaning all starting in A) is enclosed with double quotes. An example would be

Count({< Year = {2010}, CompanyName = {"A*"}, Country = {'FR'} >} ID)

Besides, look into the "Training" section at the top of the page, there are some webinars (at least) regarding Set Analysis.

Hope this helps.

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

In addition to Miguel's suggestion:

Specifically for Set Analysis, a Help Article called "Set Analysis" (you can find it by searching the Help section for "Set Analysis") is an invaluable source of information. In the beginning, I used to print out this article every time I had to develop a Set Analysis solution, and to read the explanations and the examples. I used to so it for about a year, until all the terms had settled well in my memory 🙂

Not applicable
Author

Thanks guys. I'll see what I can dig out.