Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deepak_pillai
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

QllikView upgrade for Cluster implementation

Hello,

We have a customer who is looking to upgrade from SR8 to SR12 (QV 11.2) and they currently have a clustered QlikView server, clustered web server and a single server acting as Publisher.

Is there any recommended sequence for upgrading the cluster servers? For instance, can the web server clusters be upgraded first, and then the QlikView server clusters and then finally the publisher?

Suffice to say, would a cluster scenario where the publisher and QlikView server(cluster) are both on SR8 and the web server is on SR12, work?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Do you mean to update a live system? I think the best way to perform an upgrade of a clustered system is to shutdown the entire system and then perform the upgrade to SR12. IMHO in that case the order of upgrades is not important. To maximize uptime, you can upgrade every individual service and let the installer shutdown and restart the service. See Chapter 3.3 Multi-machine Preparation in the QlikView Server Reference Manual.

See also Upgrading QlikView Server may restart disabled services for some additional points of interest

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Do you mean to update a live system? I think the best way to perform an upgrade of a clustered system is to shutdown the entire system and then perform the upgrade to SR12. IMHO in that case the order of upgrades is not important. To maximize uptime, you can upgrade every individual service and let the installer shutdown and restart the service. See Chapter 3.3 Multi-machine Preparation in the QlikView Server Reference Manual.

See also Upgrading QlikView Server may restart disabled services for some additional points of interest

deepak_pillai
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Peter

Thanks for the quick response on this, and thanks for the reference manual tip. The manual does indeed specify a sequence of upgrade to maximise uptime, I just tested it (albeit on the dev instance which is not in cluster mode) and it seems Access Point still works when QMS is disabled (which is the first step on the recommended procedure).

I am guessing this will extend to the cluster scenario as well!

1.Perform a backup as described in Upgrade Procedure (page 21).

2.Stop QMS (which means QMC becomes unavailable).

3.Upgrade in the following order (let the installer restart the services):

a) Web servers

b) Directory Service Connector (DSC)

c) QlikView Server (QVS)

d) QlikView Distribution Service (QDS)

e) QMS

4.Start QMS (which means QMC becomes available again).

But I am still not clear, since DSC and QVS are running on separate machines, would the temporary disparity in releases not cause an issue overall? So once the webserver is upgraded, publisher is on SR8 but webserver is on SR12 albeit for a short time.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Well, your last remark applies to any multi-platform upgrade, whether QlikView is clustered or not. And the task list you mentioned appears in a chapter titled Multi-platform preparations, so I guess Qlik acknoledges the fact that it is possible, but only if you execute the upgrade steps in that specific order.

If you want to know for sure, please contact Qlik Support, I guess your QlikView installation is large enough to get an answer from them rather quickly. And Qlik Support is known for adding any and all additional information that is relevant (or essential) for your planned upgrade.

Best,

Peter

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

BTW QVWS and QDS do not communicate with each other. The central pivot in a QlikView Server set-up is the QMS, and specifically that one has been shutdown from the beginning. QMS is probably the only one that would complain if it discovered a mix of different releases trying to work together.

deepak_pillai
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Hi Peter

Your comments and guidance on this are much appreciated. I think I will log this with Qlik Support just to cover all bases.

Thanks again.

Not applicable

In our environment, we have cluster on both QVS & QDS. We did below way.

1. QMS on Machine1

2. QDS + DSC on Machine2

3. QVS + DSC + QVWS on Machine4

4. QDS + DSC on Machine3

5. QVS + DSC + QVMS on Machine5

I would suggest back up your Qlikview server & publisher license and QVPR repository.