Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MT4
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

QlikView failure when distributing a scheduled NPrinting job

Hi,

I have a hypothetical question regarding NPrinting. I hope you can help me sort it out

If i have made a report, a task and scheduled a job for distribution say via email. What happends if QV has a break down  in the middle of populating the scheduled report?

Will I get a failure message or will a report, possibly with the wrong or incomplete data be created and sent out (I guess not...)?

Thanks in advance!!!

Regards

Michelle

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

NPrinting can send an email if the nsq runs & fails.  You can also add email alerts for warnings and success as well.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Frank_S
Support
Support

You will get this error if in the NP Designer.

The same  message would be logged in the NPrinting server service logs as well if the task is run as part of a schedule from the NP server.

task error when qv desktop crashed or closed during NP processing.PNG

Hope this helps.

If you are new to NPrinting please feel free to visit the link below:

NPrinting 16 Training & Installation/Upgrade Information

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are using a qvw via the file system as an NPrinting data source then nothing, as QV Server is not involved.

If you are using a qvw via the QV Server as an NPrinting data source then it would fail.  But I would reckon it would fail completely and not produce anything on a QV Server failure.

MT4
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Thank you both for your answers!! One additional question... If the job is scheduled, should I still be checking every time the report is supposed to be sent out? There is no 'message service' that would send me some kind of notification when something goes wrong?

Regards

Michelle

Anonymous
Not applicable

NPrinting can send an email if the nsq runs & fails.  You can also add email alerts for warnings and success as well.

Frank_S
Support
Support

You can set up administrative alerts in the NPrinting server management console.

You can define the alerts you wish to receive.

Log files will be delivered directly to the email address which you specify. See image below.

admin alerts.PNG

Further to your earlier question, if the QV desktop crashes or is closed during the processing of a report, a log entry is always entered into the logs. If task is run from the NP designer...the logs appear in the NP designer log folder. If task is run from the server, the errors will be logged in the NP server logs.

To emulate this error, simply close the QV desktop during the processing of an NP report.

If you wish to learn more about configuring the NPrinting service etc the training materials I've linked earlier contain a great deal of the information that you might be looking for.  Here it is again for your convenience.

NPrinting 16 Training & Installation/Upgrade Information

Hope this helps.

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
MT4
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Thank you both Frank and Bill
This community is just fantastic!!!
Regards

Michelle

Anonymous
Not applicable

No worries, glad you are sorted.

Another thing I have done when an NPrinting Server went unstable every now and then and just "hung" with the Service looking like it was running but doing nothing, was to schedule a HeartBeat nsq to send me an email every hour, so when I stopped getting the emails I knew it was "hung".

This also helped me know roughly when it "hung" which helped Qlik Support to diagnose and solve.

MT4
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Thanks for the tip Bill. I will try and remenber this one!

poppypearce
Creator
Creator

Hi Bill,

Could you please share the HeartBeat nsq  file or please let me know if there is any other option to get a alert when the services "Hung".