Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gdevarashettyhf
Contributor III
Contributor III

NPrinting 16.2 Multi Tasking

Hello NP experts,

Can someone suggest something for below scenario.

1. We have 1000 odd emails (each with its own slide of data) to be emailed to their respective users.

2. In the process of opening the document once and use filter for each recipient to send email, It is taking 2-3 mins.. between "Producing Report :HTMLReport..." and "Report Produced:HTML Report...".

3. 1000 reports = 4 per 10min = 40+Hrs.

4. Is there a faster way to achieve this. We are looking into see if we can fine tune the QVW for faster fetch into NP but other than that, is there a way to multitask or improve from NP side?

5. We have 3 Designer and 2 Server Licenses. Is it possible to utilize Designer and Server as 2 instances and run 2 different sets. This way we can have total 5 Sessions running parallel. That would still give a turnout of 40/5 = 8Hrs which is not so good.

Thank You,

Ganesh

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

The server only runs scheduled tasks.  once you put the job on the server, it will run without the designer.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ganesh,

You can definitely split your load between servers and clients.  You will have to manually control the schedule of the tasks for each one.

When I run a batch of reports, it always takes longer to run the first one, but usually the performance is a lot better thereafter.  For example, it might take 1-2 minutes to run first task and then since the app is already open, the second task launches without starting the process again and usually finishes in 35-40 seconds.

I copy a binary QVW file to the server folder rather than accessing the data across a file system.  Not sure how much that will improve your situation.   That eliminates bandwidth issues.  Of course, your data will be static for however long it takes to run the reports.  If you use publisher, you can automate the copy process.

That should get you started.  Let us know how it goes

zeeshanadeel
Contributor III
Contributor III

If you're running multiple task then select "Close connection when task ends" option for the last task of the schedule. If NPrinting closes the connection for every task then it takes 2-3 minutes just to open qvw each and every time.

by changing this setting, I believe you could generate 1000 reports in three hours.

gdevarashettyhf
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I am using recipient filter option. It only open and closes once. It will not save a lot of time. The least I can do is split the task into 5 simultaneous runs (3 designer and 2 server) on separate machine.

That would bring down time to = 3min * 1000 reports = 3000 min /5 = 600 min = 6Hrs.

Is it possible to run the task on Server by itself without having designer? I think yes, but can you confirm.

Thank you.

Ganesh

Anonymous
Not applicable

The server only runs scheduled tasks.  once you put the job on the server, it will run without the designer.

zeeshanadeel
Contributor III
Contributor III

you might already doing this but just a thought....

Do you reduce your QVW via reduce task in NPrinting before running this task?

If I'm you, I may reduce QVW and keep only the records that I need to generate NPrinting reports that would increase the task execution performance. in your case you may want to reduce the QVW data and keep only records relevant to this task/schedule.

gdevarashettyhf
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Does this reduction mean it will eliminate only unused fields etc. or it will also filter the data for current user. As I mentioned, we have multiple users each having his own view. Will that work?

zeeshanadeel
Contributor III
Contributor III

reduction wouldn't eliminate any field.

in the reduction you will apply the filter and create a separate QVW file with reduced data (less record). So you will have only records that you need to generate relevant NPrinting reports. I believe that would increase the performance as NPrinting will apply the filter and parse the records on lesser data as compare to all data.

gdevarashettyhf
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

The filtering of data is automatically done as part of recipient filter. Not sure what other reduction you are referring too but will sure look for it. Thanks.