Defect acknowledgement with Nprinting Engine May 2022 SR2, please READ HERE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dgreenberg
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

How to promote an .NSQ file with reports,task, job and schedule from one environment to the next

Our environment consists of 4 servers:

• DEV
  • QA
  • UAT
  • PROD

The developers do not have any access to UAT and PROD but have full access on DEV and QA.

I need to figure out how to promote from one environment to the next.

On-Demand is no issue as it can use expressions.

I am concerned about a few things here:

• the connection changes.  In Dev it uses QVP://DEV, in QA QVP://QA and so on.
  • the template path for the report changes from \\dev\nprinting to \\QA\nprinting and so on.
  • the task output folder changes from \\dev\nprinting\output to \\qa\nprinting\output and so on.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can copy these from one environment  to the next without manually changing the connection, report path and task output folder?

We will need to script the file copy operation for the security team to run just like we do when promoting QVWs.

-Dan

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zeeshanadeel
Contributor III
Contributor III

you're right.. my bad... You can use %DefaulQlikViewServer% as you're qvp's you QVWs. Here is a very good documents on that as well.

https://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-13959

But if you're using SAN drive then you would have to make changes in nsq file.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
dgreenberg
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

I am making progress on this.

Instead of storing the .NSQ and templates on the QlikView servers I should be able to store them on the Nprinting server and then use relative paths for the output folder and template path but will still have to change the QlikView connection each time.

Now I have to get creative and see if I can use an environment variable to specify the path kind of like using %temp%

zeeshanadeel
Contributor III
Contributor III

but still you have to open *.nsq file in each environment after deployment which I don't like it. It should have a function to read connection from a text file just like Qlikview.

dgreenberg
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

Do you have to open the NSQ file in each environment?

Lets keep it simple and talk about the connection for now.

If the server has an environmental  variable setup called %DefaulQlikViewServer% which is the default server and is different on each environment are you certain that we still have to open the NSQ on each environment?

I have nothing to substantiate that it would work other wise but a theory and need to test it over the next few days.

if so this is going to create a big problem for me.

zeeshanadeel
Contributor III
Contributor III

you're right.. my bad... You can use %DefaulQlikViewServer% as you're qvp's you QVWs. Here is a very good documents on that as well.

https://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-13959

But if you're using SAN drive then you would have to make changes in nsq file.

dgreenberg
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

I am sorry I don't follow why if using SAN instead of local storage on the Nprinting Server you will have to change the NSQ file.

Maybe it's in your post ill read the link now.

dgreenberg
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

Sorry now I think I have it.

You mean if opening via UNC instead of QVP then you have to open the NSQ.