Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QMC Mail Server Authentication Method - Anonymous/Distribution Service Account

Hi all, on QMC->Sustem->Setup->Mail Server->Authentication Method, we have options of "Anonymous", "Use Distribution Service Account", and "User name and password". How are they different in terms of security and function? Thank you.

5 Replies
nagireddy_qv
Creator II
Creator II

Hi Jessica,

Anonymous, meaning that no authentications is used

• Use Distribution Service Account, meaning that the Windows user, under which the service run, is used
  • User Name and Password, meaning that the user credentials configured in the following text boxes is used:
  • User Name
  • Password
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I think your question may not be very relevant, as these options are supplied to enable you to connect with an mail server that imposes a certain set of security measures to begin with.

In general, a mail server in your company domain will allow you to connect without credentials. That depends on the thrust level your sys admin assigns to employees. As soon as one of the employee machnes gets infected with spamming software and starts distributing millions of messages to external addressees, anonymous access may be discarded.

As soon as you need valid credentials to relay email messages through your email server (most ISP mail hosts force you to log in before you can relay email through their servers), your email server may require a simple userid/password combination (external email servers use this kind of authentication) or a Windows AD security token (used only within your domain).

On average, you cannot choose. You'll have to provide whatever the email server requires from you before you can start sending emails.

Best,

Peter.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you for the response. I read your comment and I am still a little confused. When I chose "use distribution service account", I was able to distribute PDF report and get system email, but not able to get "Alert" ( Search Recipes | Qlikview Cookbook) emails until I changed the setting to anonymous. Wonder why it made the difference. Thank you very much.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Weird indeed. Do the alerts work if you reload manually in QV Desktop?

You can configure the email server settings in QV Desktop from Settings->User Preferences->Mail.

Best,

Peter

[Edit] I'm not sure that the Alert feature even uses Server email settings...

Not applicable
Author

Same problem here..

• manual reload via QV Desktop --> E-Mail received
  • automatical reload via QMC (Authentication Method: Use Distribution Service account) --> no E-Mail received
    • Hint: Technical user have the rights to send mails..
  • automatical reload via QMC (Authentication Method: Anonymous)