Announcements
Defect acknowledgement with Nprinting Engine May 2022 SR2, please READ HERE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

NPrint queue

I have a question on NPrinting OnDemand.  If I have N users and they all request NPrint OnDemand from Access Point, is there a way to see everything that is in the queue?  Is there a way for an Admin to see everything in the queue and delete anything that is stuck?  What if one report which usually just takes 30 seconds got behind a large report, then that user will have to wait for the long-running one to finish.  I'm trying to understand how others deal with these cases. How does one handle the volume if there is just one queue where reports are going?  What is the best way to handle at an enterprise level?

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Florence,

Good question.  I have a project with 15 users that submit On-demand requests.  Unfortunately, I don't think there is any native monitoring tool.  I would suggest you create an idea so that others may weigh in on this topic.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you.  I followed your suggestion and Created an Idea.  Hopefully, people will comment.   With just 2 users in our development submitting on-demand at the same time, it was slow, so I was wondering how other people deal with it.

zeeshanadeel
Contributor III
Contributor III

Current version of NPrinting cannot deal these situations that's why NPrinting is working on Web version (Release 17). That would eventually have on-demand reporting feature (Initial release wouldn't have on-demand reporting feature). I believe that would take another year to release.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Okay.  Time to think outside the box.

Thanks to Colin Albert for bringing this to my attention

NPrinting On-Demand: Architecture and Configuration

There is a log file on your Nprinting Server called internal.log    This file seems to contain information on all of the requests that are made to the On-Demand Service.  If you copy this file, you can then parse it and extract your report name, start date, processing time, filters and a lot of potentially helpful information for each request.

I just created 3 on-demand requests and all are immediately written to the log file, so even if the jobs have not completed, you can still see the activity in the queue.

Several people on this forum have already developed a log viewer program.  It would seem that this would be a nice addition to that QVW app.

Now, as far as my research has taken me, you don't have the ability to manage the queue, but you can at least look at the log files to see what jobs have been submitted.

Florence, this should at least get you a "report" of jobs submitted and their performance and processing time

Hope this Helps!

Regards,

Mike

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Florence,

I see that Nprinting version 17 was released yesterday, however in the release notes it indicated that it does not include functionality for On-Demand. Hopefully soon.  Anyway, I found a large Qlik Partner that offers some tools for viewing activity in Nprinting.  I am working on getting a demo scheduled to see them this week.  I am also planning to go to Qonnections in May, so I am sure I will come back with all kinds of useful information from the trade show vendors.

Here are the suggested tools:

Report Failures, Errors

On Demand Stats:   Reports on user report requests and user selections

Nprinting Queuing:   History on report job runtimes and queues based on log content

If you or anyone else would like to hear some feedback on this, please follow me on this forum and I will communicate with you directly.

Hope that helps

Regards,

Mike