Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Usage CALs - can someone tell me how to use those

Hi,

We have usage CALs : 110 available(110 in license).

I am not pretty much clear about usage CALs definition.Please explain this.

Also explain me how to configure these usage CALs in the system.I know how to assign the 'Named user CALs'.This is avaiable in QEMC.I can directly give the user name and assign CAL to him/her.But in QEMC ,I could not find anything where we can assign this Usage CAL.

11 Replies
Not applicable
Author

CAL's are of 2 types

Named CAL : Can open all the documents and also development

Document CAL : This is authorized to view only doc that is assigned.

For Assigning a Named Cal got to

Qlikview management Console > Licenses > Client Access Licenses (CAL)

here you can assign a CAL by giving a current "USER" name of person , Or its "MACHINE" name as identifier.

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Here is information on Usage Cals.

Usage CAL - Each Usage CAL gives the right to initiate one session (single

document) per running 28-day period. The session may last a maximum

of one hour. Any activity after the first hour has expired will count

as a new session (albeit without visible interruption). No identification

of the client user is necessary.

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

The Usage CAL is designed to accomodate "overflow" usage during peak times. It is not tied to a User or Machine. A Usage CAL allows 1 user to have access to 1 QlikView Document (session) for 1 hour over a 28 day period. Once this limit has been met, the Usage CAL becomes inactive and is not reset until the 28 day period has passed.

• While it is recommended to try and identify the different user types and match them to the appropriate license type, there are times when additional users will be accessing QlikView. This usually happens during peak times such as Month-End closing, Year-End Processing or Promotional Campaigns- all activities that will boost the usage of QlikView. For these times, Usage CALs can be utilized to accomodate these "overflow" users.
  • Usage CALs have a time limit and should not be used to accommodate individual or groups of users. A Usage CAL will allow a user to access 1 QlikView document for up to 1 hour within a 28 day period. While Usage CALs are a very cost-effective way to handle overflow usage, it is important to understand their limitations and plan your licensing strategy accordingly.

Not applicable
Author

How and Where to assign a Document Cal? Can some one explain it.

Not applicable
Author

Go to QlikView Enterprise Management Console > Documents, expand your server, click on the document you want to assign CALs, and on the right pane, go to Document CALs and either check "Allow Dynamic" or assign them manually by unchecking that option.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the explanation .. Can u pls tell me ..how and where to assign these Usage CALs?

Not applicable
Author

Hi anitha,

Usage CAL is designed to use for overflow usage during peak times. A Usage CAL allows 1 user to have access to 1 QV Document(session) for 1 hour over a 28 day period. So ifa user use 1 Usage CAL for 1 hour, it becomes inactive and is not reset(recover) until the 28 day period has passed.

Definition:

"n" Usage CAL

→ From the following day, n/28 numbers of Usage CAL will be recovered

・ ・ ・ ・

→ After 28 days, "n" numbers of CAL is recovered and available to use

Usage CAL count example

eg.1:Let's assume you have 1 Usage CAL. You used it and the counter starts.

→ After 1 day, counter becomes 1/28. After 2 days, counter becomes 2/28. After 5 days, counter becomes 5/28.........After 28 dyas, counter becomes 28/28. At this count(28 day period has passed), 1 CAL is recovered.

eg.2:Let's assume you have 5 Usage CAL. You used all and the counter starts.

→ After 1 day, counter becomes 5/28. After 2 days, counter becomes 10/28. After 6 days, counter becomes 30/28≒(Available 1 Usage CAL at this point)............After 28 days, counter becomes 140/28. At this point(28 day period has passed), 5 CAL is recovered.

So it is good to use when additional users will be accessing QlikView during peak times such as month/year-end closing or promotional campaigns.

With all the best,

Kaung Myat Tun

(Ref:http://community.qlik.com/thread/56492)

Not applicable
Author

Good Explanation.Helpful.Thanx

Not applicable
Author

Is there any way of assigning USAGE CALs?  I have have the problem that I can't tell if the USAGE CALs are refreshing or not.  We have purchased 25 USAGE CALs but cannot tell when they reload.