Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QlikView Chart Types Display

Hello,

I am building a line chart that is shaded beneath the lines.  It appears as though the data is being misrepresented when I change the "look" of the line chart.

The chart looks like this when displaying as the 3rd type of line chart:

1.PNG

When changed to the 4th type of line chart the light blue area becomes very large.  It is important to note that there are no values in the data for the light blue area for 2015 or 2016.

2.PNG

Interestingly however, when I filter on just the blue areas of the chart the data seems to display correctly again (this view is on a smaller scale)...

3.PNG

Any ideas as to why this chart is doing this and how it can be fixed?  Any help is appreciated!  Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Thank you for all of your help!  I am pleased to say that this issue is solved!

This was solved by concatenating a new table which replicated the original data values for the relevant fields but loaded in "0" values for the "amount" field.

For example: The light blue portion of the graph now has 0 values loaded in for years 2015 and 2016 which causes it to taper to 0 after 2014 as opposed to connecting the line from 2015 to 2016 where there previously were no values.

Rob, I appreciate all of your help and stacked bar charts would have been a great solution, however using the stacked line chart was a business requirement.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

This is "correct" behavior for an area chart, the display style you have chosen. Think of the display as a stacked bar chart with lines drawn between the bars.

Look at the data point for 2016 on your first screen. There is no blue plotted on the 2016 point because the 2016 value is zero. This is correct.

Due to the display drawing a line connecting 2013 and 2016, it sort of makes it look like there are values in the middle.

An area chart is probably not a good choice of style for this data.

Rob

Not applicable
Author

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply!

Is there a way I can make the chart just shade underneath the lines then?  Essentially what I am trying to build is a stacked line chart.

Thanks!

Not applicable
Author

Rob, by unchecking "suppress zero values" the chart changed to looking like this:

4.PNG

Note that the values at 2014 went away (which is how it should display) but it still populated everything from 2014 to 2016.

If there is no way to to shade in underneath the lines on my chart would there be a way to force 0 values for everything if the values are null?

For instance in my data I have a year and a value in each record.  The light blue section here only has records for 2013 and 2014 and consequently only has values for those.  Would I be able to force 0 values for the other years (without messing up the scale on the graph?)

Thanks!

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I'm not sure. I think lines always want to be drawn out to the end. Try a stacked bar chart instead.

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Thank you for all of your help!  I am pleased to say that this issue is solved!

This was solved by concatenating a new table which replicated the original data values for the relevant fields but loaded in "0" values for the "amount" field.

For example: The light blue portion of the graph now has 0 values loaded in for years 2015 and 2016 which causes it to taper to 0 after 2014 as opposed to connecting the line from 2015 to 2016 where there previously were no values.

Rob, I appreciate all of your help and stacked bar charts would have been a great solution, however using the stacked line chart was a business requirement.

Thanks!