Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Self created ODBC scramble connect user credentials

Hi guys,

Can i create scrambled connect user credentials manuly? I mean, without QlikView wizard.

(Example of scrambled connection string ->  ODBC CONNECT TO ODBC_SQL (XUserId is ALYIeYZOVbcKGZNJ, XPassword is XXGaVYJOWLZKXZRGRLYcGSBOcC); )

I want to cretae ODBC scrambled user credentials manualy and just put it into ini file.

Thank you for answers!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi guys,

Issue resolved with this library QvScrambler.dll.

Everything works fine in both ways.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
marcus_sommer

I don't know if this is possible but if you used include-variables for the connections maybe loaded within a hidden script you need not much to worry. Especially if you used a few specialized user with restricted access-rights (only read-access to some tables) it won't be much efforts to create these scrambled connection-strings.

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Marcus for your response.

One more detail. If I generate the connection string for the same set of creds (User\Pass) i will have different result for every populated conection string:

ODBC CONNECT TO BAZ (XUserId is FZCAUZFOMbXIXSNOUbXB, XPassword is WOPOSZFOMbXIXSNOULKB);

ODBC CONNECT TO BAZ (XUserId is SaMVSZFOMbXIXSNOUTHB, XPassword is NADXfZFOMbXIXSNOUbAA);

And all these connection strings are workable.

Very interesting...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I create obfuscated connection strings with the wizard and then copy and paste it into file where I want it to be.

Not applicable
Author

Bill Markham <span class="icon-status-icon icon-mvp" title="Mvp"></span> написал(а):

I create obfuscated connection strings with the wizard and then copy and paste it into file where I want it to be.

Thanks Bill,

Yes, i am doing this in the same manner now.

But I want to automate this process.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Sorry, that is the only way I know and I suspect it is the only way.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Valerii, there was a discussion recently that talked about this issue. You can read it here:Re: odbc connection string question

The idea seems to be that QlikView scrambles the credentials upon request, and unscrambles them immediately before sending the CONNECTion request to the DB. You can copy these CONNECT strings wherever you want, but you cannot generate scrambled credentials yourself, as QlikView wouldn't know how to unscramble them.

And yes, there is a salt value involved that makes the scarmling output different every time you generate a CONNECT string.

Best,

Peter

Not applicable
Author

I have such examples for encrypted data:

1) Word sql_test
was encrypted into:
1 try) EBLMfZFOMbXIXSNOULNB
2 try) IbJRZZFOMbXIXSNOUTFA
3 try) SaMVSZFOMbXIXSNOUTHB
as you can see all these string with the same part: ZFOMbXIXSNOU
(without first 5 and last 3 symbols)

2) For sql_test1:
1 try) XPTTXZFOMbXIXSNOULMaN
2 try) SNYNfZFOMbXIXSNOULMSC
3 try) ICZAfZFOMbXIXSNOULMYD
with the same part: ZFOMbXIXSNOUL
(without first 5 and last 3 symbols)

So, we can predict that Qlik adds salt for result string in 5 first symbols and in 3 last.

But I can't recognise what algorithm Qlik uses for scrambling a main part.

Not applicable
Author

Hi guys,

Issue resolved with this library QvScrambler.dll.

Everything works fine in both ways.

frankpelosi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Valerii,

I have a similar problem, but I am unable to find the .dll. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!