Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Unable to reload with QV 9 Publisher using Oracle 64 bit Client

I develop QVWs using windows x86 running window xp professional. I have a 32 bit QLIKVIEW client version 9and 32 bit oracle client version 10 on this desktop. Our Oracle database is also version 10. I can connect to my oracle database using Microsoft OLEDB for oracle on the desktop. On server we have 64 bit QVS and publisher version 9 running on windows x64. The O/S is windows server 2003. We have Oracle 64 bit client version 10 on the server. Our window administrator team could not install 32bit oracle client on this server. The question is I am unable to reload my qvws on this server using the publisher tasks. It is unable to connect to the database. I can connect to the Oracle from the server using ODBC by creating the DSN. I can also connect using sqlplus. Is there any script change I have t do to connect to Oracle 64 bit client to reload using publisher task. Any solutions for this?

10 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Dear Mahan,

Suppose think that you are not using the publisher for reload . Manually if you create a oledb or odbc connection in the server are you able to connect to the oracle and fetch the data . If yes we may have to check the things at qlikview end ... Please do let me know about this.

Regards,

Chakravarthy.

Not applicable
Author

Do you mean using qlikview client on the server using the script and reload option? No I cannot connect through qlikview client as my client is 32bit and I cannot see the Oracle 64 bit drivers in the OLEDB or ODBC window. I get the window saying "Oracle components are not found and they are required ....". The general Microsoft OLEDB message for the Oracle client components. This may be because the 32 bit Qlikview Application is unable to see the 64 bit Oracle client installation on the machine. Through sqlplus I can connect to the database and run sql commands to fetch data. If you are asking about other WINDOWS Applications that use OLEDB or ODBC on the server, I have not tried. This server is presently used for Qlikview. I will have to install other Windows applications to check if OLEDB connections pull up data.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Manhan,

If you want to reload using a publisher you need a connection string . As you have 32 bit QlikView in your server you cannot make a connection with the 62 Bit Oracle as the connection string fails you are unable to reload using the publisher . You already said that the administrator could not install Oracle 32 bit in the server . upgrade your qlikview to QV10 . You can overcome this problem using the option force 32 bit .

Regards,

Chakravarthy.

Not applicable
Author

Bu my Server/Publisher is 64 bit. so I expect the publisher to connect with the 64 bit oracle client driver and reload. Does this not work even if I create my application in a 32 bit client.

My connection string syntax is of the form:

ODBC <DSN> (Userid is <X>, Password is <Y>. I get the following error message in the log.

Failed to read ScriptErrorCount. Exception=System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at QVBWrapper.Document.Reload(ILogBucket i_LogBucket, Boolean i_MonitorQVBCPUUsage, Boolean i_Partial, Boolean i_ReadDocumentLog)

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Have you installed the Oracle Database software on the server? Only way I know to get it to work. The attached is what I use to setup connection to Orcale.

[View:http://community.qlik.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/12/4061.A-QlikView-Connection-to-Oracle.doc:550:0]

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

Isn't it working using the Oracle Instant Client as well?

We are doing it this way and I find it unnecceassary to install a database....

Instant Client can be downloaded @oracle.com in some versions. Download the odbc-files as well and unzip on server.
Do not forget to set up OraHome.

Regards Adriane

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Are you doing reloads with QV server or publisher?

To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

In Qlikview 9 publisher and server are together. Of course the loading is done by the publisher. Server is basically used for distribution. The point is the Publisher is unable to link the Oracle 64 bit ODBC driver. That's why it throws an error as null reference. Is there any difference in the connect string statement when connecting to 64 bit oracle driver? I think I should create my script connect statement in 64 bit Qlikview client to use the Oracle 64 bit driver. Otherwise did anybody able to install 32 bit Oracle client on a 64 bit windows machine? I can understand we don't need a database on the qlikview server machine

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

You are correct in the fact that QlikView publisher and server are together, if the user has a publisher license. If they do not then they are doing server reloads. They could also be doing the reloads through batch mode or through the command line feature using the Qlikview client. So, knowning the correct way they are doing the reloads can have impact on the issue.