Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlik sense - MS SQL data connection with specific Windows AD user

Hi All,

I would like to makes available a connection for all users using a single login access. But this login access is a windows AD users with specific right on the DB server.

Explanation :

I am Mister Smith, i connect through qlik sense with my ad user "smith". But I want to use a connection that is available and use different AD User named "sqluser".

All my apps are using the "sqluser" AD user. Because it is the only user that has access to the DB.

Do you know how to implement that on the server side ?

Thank you,

C.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

A server reload will not use the users' credentials. It will use the AD system account that runs the Publisher service (or Server service for a no-Publisher installation). Just make sure that the system account has the necessary access to the database.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein

View solution in original post

9 Replies
reddy-s
Master II
Master II

Hi Cyrille,

If my understanding is right, smith has to access the MYSQL database connection which you have set up using 'sqluser'

user credentials right?

If so, that totally possible. Just give access to the data connection and he should be able to fetch data from MYSQL.

Thanks,

Sangram.

Not applicable
Author

My situation is on MS SQL (Microsoft SQL Server) which is using Windows Active Directory Users only.

I want to create a connection on qliksense with another Windows Active Directory User than the one i'm loggin to Qliksense.

I'm not using MySQL database.

C.

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

A server reload will not use the users' credentials. It will use the AD system account that runs the Publisher service (or Server service for a no-Publisher installation). Just make sure that the system account has the necessary access to the database.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Best practice would dictate that you:

1) Create an AD group for these MS SQL Server access rights that the AD DB user has now

2) You add the AD user and the QlikView Publisher Account AD User into this newly created group.

quriouss
Creator III
Creator III

I can only speak for connecting to SAP but the "database user" is defined in the connection string and doesn't interact with the Qlik user.

I would think you might be able to build a connection using Provider=SQLServer;User="AD\SQLUSER";Password="PASSWORD" or whatever syntax your connection uses.

(Of course, it might be that your database connection doesn't work like this, but in the absence of any other details I'd give it a try).

Colin-Albert

If your SQL server is using windows authentication, then the connection will pass the login of the current user to SQL. To connect to SQL as a specific account you will need to enable mixed-mode authentication and created a SQL user account.

Are you sure that the username sqluser is an AD account and is not a sql account?

Have you tried setting up a connection using OLEDB with the Microsoft SQL Provider, and using the specific user name & password option.

You will need to tick the "Allow saving password" option to prevent being prompted for the password each time

SQLConnect.JPG

Not applicable
Author

Thank you for your answers.

That I want to seems to be impossible. I have 2 choices :

- Use a mixed-mode user

- Add the service user to the SQL group

My customer do not use mixed-mode, 2nd choice will be mandatory.

dgreenberg
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

You will have to use a named account.

dgreenberg
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Using a service account for SQL Authentication is a best practice.