cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michaeldburt
Partner - Contributor III

Sense to AWS connection

Hi Everyone- I am trying to set up a new connection in Qlik Sense to a database being stored in SQL on AWS.  I tried the standard OLE DB with no success. I've been trying to find a forum here, or on the AWS forums, that discusses this but I cannot find anything.  Has anyone successfully done this and/or have any documentation on how to accomplish it? Thanks for any help!

Mike

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Karl_Humma
Employee
Employee

This does sound like the appropriate ports in the aws security group attached to the instance hosting sql are not open.  If the location of where qliksense is running has a static external ip then i'd recommend narrowing the scope of the security groups specific ports to that IP then you will not expose your database access publicly.

Hope this helps.

/karl

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Michael.

Do you know what errors you are getting?

I can only imagine it is a firewall security policy issue on AWS -  I assume Qlik Sense and SQL ARE NOT on the same machine, I assume Qlik Sense is on 1 machine in your on premise environment and SQL is on AWS outside your environment, which would be the case. Do you have access to AWS console to check the inbound / outbound port rules on AWS?

I think starting there would be your best bet.

You may also need to configure your SQL Server on AWS to use TCP/IP and make sure Dynamic IP is not checked either, you do this in the network connection settings for the SQL Server.

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

kha‌ - hey man (Karl) tapping into your AWS expertise for one of our fellow members. Can you validate my reply in regards to this situation? Sounds to me like firewall, inbound / outbound security port rules.

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
michaeldburt
Author

Thanks for the replies.  I will take a look into this today and over the weekend to figure it out.

Karl_Humma
Employee
Employee

This does sound like the appropriate ports in the aws security group attached to the instance hosting sql are not open.  If the location of where qliksense is running has a static external ip then i'd recommend narrowing the scope of the security groups specific ports to that IP then you will not expose your database access publicly.

Hope this helps.

/karl

michaeldburt
Author

Karl-

What are al of the ports that need to be opened up for Sense to run properly?

MIke

Karl_Humma
Employee
Employee

at the minimum :

for a complete list of ports used by Qlik Sense Server please refer to Ports overview ‒ Qlik Sense . Hope this helps.

/karl

michaeldburt
Author

Thanks for helping out.  I was able to connect, after the server was added to the correct security group.  on a side note, the only situation that gave me trouble was the AWS to AWS server connection. 

elifapa
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hello @michaeldburt, were you able to connect from QS with OLEDB?